These vegan gingerbread bars are sweet, sticky, easy to make, and wonderfully festive.
These gingerbread cookie bars have a nice, soft texture. Sometimes vegan baking can yield some unexpected results, but I was really happy with how these turned out. They're soft, moist, and have a pleasant gingerbread flavor.
You can cut these bars into squares like I did, but I also think that this recipe would be great if you use a spoon to scoop it out of the pan when it's still warm and then top it with some ice cream. *mouth waters* I snuck a few spoonfuls before these cooled completely. Not sorry.
I dusted these gingerbread bars with a little bit of icing sugar for the photos, but that's totally optional. These are pretty sweet already, so I didn't think a glaze/icing was necessary.
I can and can't believe it's mid-December already. The days often seem to go by slowly, but then another month is over and I wonder where it went. I think most of my Christmas shopping is done now, at least. 😛
I've teamed up with a few of my blogger friends to bring you some more delicious Christmas cookie recipes. A virtual cookie exchange if you will! You can check them out to get some ideas:
What Should I Make For · Ugly Sweater Gingerbread Cookies
The Sweet Nerd · Gingerbread Cookies - All Spruced Up
Girl Heart Food · Orange Poppy Seed Shortbread Cookies
The Beach House Kitchen · Hot Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
Beyond Mere Sustenance · Brandy-Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate
Seasons & Suppers · Lemon Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
Ciao Chow Bambina · Lemon Drop Italian Cookies
Contemplating Sweets · Hedgehog Cookies
The Busy Spatula · S’mores Cookies
Meg is Well · Bradshaw Cookies: A Sour Cream Cookie with Cream Cheese Frosting
A few tips for this recipe:
- Be sure to grease the pan well and/or put foil in it (and grease the foil too) to make it easier to get the bars out.
- It's hard to wait, but let the pan cool fully (at least an hour) before you cut the bars.
- If the bars sink in the middle a little bit, don't worry - that's quite normal for this type of recipe. Don't over-mix the batter and that may help a bit.
Hope you enjoy these Christmas gingerbread bars!
Questions? Ask me in the comments below!
Vegan Gingerbread Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup vegan butter melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fancy molasses
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Add the vegan butter to a large mixing bowl and melt it in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- Make your flax egg and set aside at least 10 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350F, move the rack to the middle of the oven, and grease an 8x8 pan (I used cooking spray).
- Add the vanilla, sugar, and molasses to the mixing bowl with the butter in it. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, combine until the mixture is smooth (don't over-mix).
- Mix in the flax egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl (flour, baking powder, ground spices, and salt), and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into your baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool on a cooling rack and do not cut the bars until the pan has fully cooled (at least an hour). Store bars in a cool place in an airtight container.
- If the bars sink in the middle a little bit, don't worry - that's quite normal for this type of recipe.
- Ground flaxseed is also labeled as flaxseed meal sometimes.
- Make sure you spoon & level the flour vs. scooping it so you don't end up with too much.
You may also like some of my other festive vegan recipes: vegan sugar cookies or my cranberry vegan mini cheesecakes.
Looks very yummy! May I ask what type flour you used? I would love to make gluten free just in case ...what would you recommend?
Hi Nancy! Thank you. I just used all-purpose flour. Hmm... I confess I'm not exactly an expert at adjusting baking recipes to be gluten-free. I don't feel comfortable recommending a substitute without doing some testing first. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Let me know if you do successfully make them gluten-free. I'm sure my readers would appreciate knowing what you did. 🙂
The brand Cup4Cup is AMAZING for switching out flours. It’s literally one cup AP flour to one cup GF flour. I slightly refuse to use any other GF flour for this reason hehe
Thanks for the tip!!
Beautiful, tasty and super festive classic! They look so tasty!
Thanks so much!
Katherine | Love In My Oven says
I love the idea of serving these warm, with ice cream. Mmm!! Vegan baking can be tricky, so it's wonderful that you found a winner! Cheers
Thanks so much!!
Ooooooh, fancy molasses sounds all kinds of fancy-schmancy! I love anything gingerbread and molasses so I'll have to try these for when my vegan friends come over! They look incredible!
Haha... thanks. Let me know if you make them!
Tieghan Gerard says
Sarah Fennel says
Yum! These look super moist and delicious!!
Thank you 🙂
Giselle @ The Busy Spatula says
I like the dusting of powdered sugar, it makes it more festive! Not that it needs to be more festive... afterall, what is more "Holiday" than gingerbread. That texture is everything!
Haha totally! Thanks, Giselle!
I’m vegan so every time I see there cookie collage I just know there’s nothing for me but I’m so glad you’ve included a delicious gingerbread recipe!
Aw that's nice to hear! Thanks, Kendall. 🙂
Tamara Andersen says
These Vegan Gingerbread Cookie Bars look amazing Natasha! My sister recently was encouraged to follow a vegan diet for health issues, and I'd love to make them for her when we're together for Christmas! BTW, good for you for being done with your shopping... I have an unplanned 9 day trip out of state, and I've just purchased my first gift this morning! Happy Holidays!
Thanks so much!! Let me know how it goes if you do try them. 🙂 Good luck with your shopping and I hope your trip goes well too!
Jennifer Farley says
Love that these are vegan! Yum!
Leigh Ann says
Give me all the gingerbread! These bars look amazing!
Thanks so much!!
Meg | Meg is Well says
I would be eating these out of the pan while still warm with a spoon and some ice cream for sure! That sounds perfect.
Jennifer @ Show Me the Yummy says
LOVE that these are vegan!
Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers says
What a perfect holiday treat! The texture looks perfect 🙂
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
I have a friend who is vegan and I can't wait to make these for her! They look just perfect Natasha!
Aw thanks so much! Hope you/she likes them!
You are making me so hungry! I am not vegan, but so many of my girlfriends are and I would love to share this recipe with them. Love the description you share of the experience you have when you eat them.... only problem is that I want to bake them right now!
Haha they were very tempting. I'm not vegan either, but I have been enjoying the challenge of creating some vegan recipes lately. 🙂
cathy | whatshouldimakefor.com says
love that you brought a vegan option to the cookie swap natasha. These look so soft and scrumptious...want to pluck one off may screen!
Thank you, Cathy! Yeah, I wanted to try something a little different.
[email protected] says
My mouth is watering just thinking about them! Delicious!!
Thanks, Annie! 🙂