This mushroom barley soup is healthy, hearty, and deliciously comforting. It’s easy to make, flavorful, and will warm you up!
My sister actually came up with the idea of making this mushroom and barley soup. She’s going to be mad when she sees this post and realizes I didn’t share any with her.
Anyway, she’s really missing out since this is one tasty soup. It actually helped get me through this awful cold I had recently, so the timing was impeccable really. 😀
I’ll make some for her one day. Maybe.
This soup is really simple. It takes a bit of time for the barley to cook, but you just have to let it simmer for a while. No extra work required!
Pro tip: This soup reheats well, but the barley in this vegan mushroom soup recipe does soak up more of the broth the longer you leave it, so I suggest adding more veggie broth when reheating it if that bugs you.
Let me know if you will make this mushroom barley soup recipe! It’s a really good winter warmer stick-to-your-ribs kinda recipe. 🙂
Questions? Ask me below!
Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup
This mushroom barley soup is healthy, hearty, and deliciously comforting. It's easy to make, flavorful, and will warm you up!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled & chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 12 ounces portobello mushrooms chopped
- 7 ounces white mushrooms chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 dashes Italian seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- Prep your onion, carrots, and celery. Add them to a large pot along with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, chop the mushrooms.
- Stir the mushrooms into the pot and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the Italian seasoning, garlic, vegetable broth, water, and barley to the pot. Increase heat to high and bring the soup to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the barley is cooked (it should be al dente, not mushy).
- Season with salt & pepper as needed. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- The barley in the soup will soak up more water the longer you cook it (and especially if you leave it in the fridge for a few days). If the liquid level gets too low, I suggest adding in more vegetable broth.
Looking for more vegan barley recipes? Try my roasted vegetable salad with barley (double as a meal prep idea).