This vegetarian tortellini soup is simple, hearty, cozy, and comforting. A pot of this is ready in only 45 minutes!
Cheese tortellini, a tomato-based broth, sweet corn, celery, and carrots make this a wonderfully colorful and flavorful soup.
Well... I'd say that it's officially soup season. Last weekend I went a bit nuts with the soups, and let's just say that I've got plenty coming to the blog in the near future.
I love a good quick soup recipe. I don't have a tortellini soup recipe on the blog yet, so that had to change. I wanted something that wasn't too heavy or complicated to make.
This veggie tortellini soup recipe uses everyday ingredients and the pasta gives it that comfort food touch. Overall, this soup is a pretty healthy meal.
I used fire roasted diced tomatoes in this vegetable tortellini soup for a bit of extra flavor, but any variety of diced or stewed tomatoes would work. I also added in a splash of cream, but I would say that it isn't necessary if you're looking to save a few calories.
It does add a bit of extra richness to the broth, but I added it in mostly because I had an open carton in the fridge that I didn't want to go to waste.
Pro tip: I will note that this soup is best enjoyed fresh. We did have some leftovers (because I made so many soups on the weekend that I made this one), and I found the pasta soaked up most of the broth and became quite soggy. It wasn't terrible, of course, but not ideal. If you do want to reheat it a day or two after you make it, I suggest adding some more vegetable broth to it.
I hope you love this easy tortellini soup recipe!
Let me know in the comments below!
Vegetarian Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 4 sticks celery chopped
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes with juices
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn drained
- 4 dashes Italian seasoning
- 1 (21 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- Splash of cream (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your onion, celery, and carrots.
- Add the oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the celery and carrots and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the veg broth, diced tomatoes, corn, and Italian seasoning. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid slightly ajar, and simmer for 15 minutes (veggies should be almost cooked).
- Increase heat to medium and add the tortellini to the soup. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed, and add the cream if using (I added about 1/4 cup) and serve immediately.
- The pasta will soak up a lot of the liquid if you don't eat this soup right away, so keep that in mind if you need to reheat it (add more water or veg broth as needed).
- Serves 4-6.