This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole recipe is a hearty ham and chicken casserole. It’s smothered with a creamy, cheesy sauce and has an incredible buttery breadcrumb topping!
Try my Zoup! Tomato Bisque with Cheesy Bread if you’re looking for another cozy meal.
Zoup! Specialty Products provided me with product for the purpose of this post as well as compensation for my time. As always, all opinions expressed in this post are my own.
The best chicken and ham casserole
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic recipe that’s made even more irresistible as a comforting casserole. In every bite you’ll get a flavor explosion from juicy chicken and ham, the creamy sauce, and two kinds of cheese with a crumble topping!
There are some seriously amazing flavors going on in this casserole, and it’s all tied together with the delicious savory base from Zoup! Their Good, Really Good® Culinary Concentrate™ lineup is a super-premium, clean-label product made in small batches and a favorite in my kitchen since it has no artificial flavors or ingredients, no preservatives, no inexpensive fillers, and no added sugar.
Zoup! Culinary Concentrates™ are also paleo and keto friendly, plus completely free of added hormones, GMOs, gluten, and the eight major allergens, making them great for any number of recipes and diets!
What you’ll need for Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Zoup! Culinary Concentrate™ Chicken Base with Bone Broth – creates a delicious base and adds rich, homemade flavor to many recipes. One 8oz recyclable jar will make 10 quarts of broth!
- Egg noodles – my favorite pasta for casseroles to make each individual bite hearty
- Rotisserie chicken – using cooked chicken means this tasty casserole is on your dinner table that much faster
- Ham – buy half a small ham (I bought a 1.5lb ham and used approximately 1/3), or you could simply use deli sliced ham and cut it up if you prefer
- Heavy cream – very important to give this casserole richness, and I wouldn’t recommend subbing for anything with a lower fat content
- Dijon mustard – essential to make that classic Dijon cream sauce!
- Swiss cheese – the go-to cheese in any Cordon Bleu recipe
You may also be interested to know…
- The Zoup! Good, Really Good® Culinary Concentrate™ lineup includes beef, chicken and savory vegan bases. Zoup! also offers a lineup of traditional broth that includes new seafood broth and new spicy chicken bone broth, original and low sodium chicken broth, veggie broth, chicken and beef bone broth, plus certified organic chicken and veggie broth.
- The products were developed by a 20+ year soup industry veteran and the team behind Zoup! Eatery
- Easily buy Zoup! Culinary Concentrates™ for your family at at ZoupBroth.com and Amazon.com.
How to make this casserole
This is an overview with step-by-step photos. Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
Boil egg noodles until just slightly undercooked, drain, and add to a 9×13 casserole dish. Add the ham and chicken over the top.
Make the creamy, cheesy sauce using Zoup! Culinary Concentrate™ Chicken Bone Broth as the flavorful base. Stir in the Swiss cheese until it’s melted into the sauce.
Pour the cheesy sauce over top of the ham, chicken, and noodles in the casserole dish. Toss until combined.
Finally, add a layer of mozzarella cheese, followed by the buttery panko breadcrumb mixture. Bake and enjoy!
- The cheesy sauce is deliciously rich and creamy, but be sure not to let it get too thick as it’ll continue to thicken up in the oven.
- If you’d like to halve the recipe, halve all ingredients and use an 8×8 dish.
- I do not add extra salt to this recipe because the Zoup! Culinary Concentrate™ is savory enough. You can feel confident using Zoup! Culinary Concentrates™ because they’re lower in sodium and higher in protein than the competition.
Leftovers and storage
- Leftovers will last for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Reheat leftovers gently over a low heat (in a covered saucepan or in the microwave). Add a splash more water or cream if needed.
- I don’t recommend freezing leftovers (the sauce may separate and noodles may lose firmness).
What to serve it with
- This recipe is quite rich, so I recommend a side salad!
- A slice of fresh crusty bread (or garlic bread) would be delicious.
Did you have any questions about this cozy casserole? Let me know in the comments below!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken (I used rotisserie) shredded
- 1.5 cups ham diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Zoup! Good, Really Good® Culinary Concentrate™ Chicken Base with Bone Broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups heavy/whipping cream
- 1/2 cup water
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Swiss cheese grated
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat your oven to 375F and move the rack to the top third of the oven.
- Boil the egg noodles for one minute less than package directions indicate, then drain them and add them to a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Add the chicken and ham to the casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet, then stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden.
- Stir in the garlic, Zoup! Culinary Concentrate™ Chicken Bone Broth, and Dijon mustard, and let it cook for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the cream and water (ensure there's no lumps), then add in some pepper. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes or until it starts to thicken up (should be similar consistency to Alfredo sauce). Don't let it get too thick as it'll thicken up more in the oven.
- Take the skillet off the heat and stir in the Swiss cheese until smooth, then pour the sauce into the casserole dish. Toss it and smooth it out in an even layer.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl and toss with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Top the casserole with the mozzarella cheese, then sprinkle the panko/butter mixture on top of the cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until it's hot and bubbly.
- Serves 6-8.
- If halving, use an 8×8 baking dish and halve all the ingredients.
- See blog post for more tips and process photos!
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.