This chicken noodle casserole is quick and simple to throw together. It's an easy make ahead dinner that's creamy, cheesy, and has loads of broccoli!
Your new favorite chicken noodle casserole recipe
This recipe is a time saver for when you've got hungry people to feed, don't really feel like cooking, and want something hot and comforting. This is a family favorite that's great if you have a picky eater! It has all the flavors of chicken noodle soup but in a no-fuss casserole.
A handful of simple grocery store and pantry ingredients is all you need to make this creamy chicken noodle casserole recipe. You can even make it ahead. This chicken noodle bake can be on your table in no time... and your whole family will love you for it!
Check out more of my casserole recipes for crowd-pleasing deliciousness.
What you'll need for this cozy casserole
- Noodles - wide egg noodles work best in this casserole since they hold their shape well
- Broccoli - it's great paired with chicken and gets in some veggies
- Chicken - you can buy a rotisserie chicken or use up any leftover chicken you have
- Cream of chicken soup - a tried and true shortcut for adding flavor to casseroles
- Sour cream - adds even more creaminess and a touch of tanginess
- Garlic powder - a hint of garlic is my not-so-secret ingredient
- Scallions - these mild green onions add a burst of freshness
- Cheddar cheese - plenty of freshly grated cheddar adds that dreamy cheesiness you crave!
Make ahead tip
- Assemble up to step 4 (before baking), let cool, then cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days ahead or freeze for 2-3 months. Let it thaw on the counter then bake as directed. You may need to add on extra time since it'll be cold.
How to make chicken noodle casserole
This is an overview with step-by-step photos. Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
Boil a pot of water. Cook the egg noodles for 1 minute less than package directions indicate, then add the broccoli in during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain and add the noodles and broccoli to a 9x13 casserole dish.
Add the chicken, chicken soup, sour cream, garlic powder, scallions, and half of the cheddar, then toss and smooth it in an even layer.
Top with the remaining cheese, then cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Substitutions and variations
- Try swapping the condensed cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup.
- Don't like using canned soup? You can make a homemade cream of chicken soup if you prefer or swap it for the sauce in my Tuna Noodle Casserole recipe.
- Use fresh or frozen broccoli: I used a pound of fresh broccoli (makes about 4 cups once cut into florets). You can use frozen broccoli if you prefer. I'd thaw it first (drain well) then add to the casserole in step 3, or add it frozen to the boiling noodles, but only for up to a minute or so (frozen broccoli is already partially cooked).
- You could use other vegetables instead of or in addition to the broccoli. Frozen peas, corn, or pre-chopped frozen veggies will work too. I'd add them into the boiling water a minute or so before draining it.
- You can swap the scallions for a 1/2 teaspoon or so of onion powder if you prefer.
- Any pasta will work for this recipe. Just be sure to cook it al dente so it won't be overcooked in the oven. If using a small shape (like macaroni), use less than 3 cups or you'll have way too much pasta.
- Halve the recipe and use an 8x8 baking dish if 6-8 servings is too much.
- If you want a crunchy topping for the top of the casserole, melt 1/4 cup of butter and mix it with 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs, crushed Ritz crackers, crushed potato chips, or plain cornflakes.
- For best results, grate your own cheese. I use this grater. I recommend a good sharp cheddar for this recipe.
Leftovers and storage
- Leftovers will last 3-4 days in the fridge. Simply reheat over a low heat for best results.
- If needed, add a splash of milk to give it a little refresh.
- I wouldn't recommend freezing leftovers of this one. The texture of the noodles and creamy sauce is liable to change.
Questions about this cheesy chicken noodle casserole recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Do you make yours the same way?
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound broccoli cut into florets, see note
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup scallions chopped
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese divided
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F and move the rack to the middle position.
- Boil a pot of water and cook the egg noodles for 1 minute less than the package directions indicate. Add the broccoli to the pot 2 minutes before the noodles are done. Drain and transfer to a 9x13 casserole dish.
- To the casserole dish, add the chicken, condensed soup, sour cream, garlic powder, scallions, and half the cheddar. Toss and then smooth into an even layer.
- Top with the rest of the cheese, then cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Uncover and broil if desired.
- Serve immediately with extra salt & pepper if needed.
- Serves 6-8 depending on portion size.
- Use fresh or frozen broccoli: I bought one pound of broccoli (including the stem), which made about 4 cups when cut into florets. Anything in the ballpark will work. If using frozen broccoli, thaw it, drain it, and add to the casserole in step 3... or add it from frozen to the boiling water with the noodles, but only cook it for up to a minute since frozen broccoli is already par-cooked and you don't want it getting mushy in the oven.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.