This beef noodle casserole uses simple everyday ingredients, comes together fast, and is warm, comforting, and family-friendly.
Ground beef, onions, garlic, marinara sauce, egg noodles, and plenty of cheese combine for one delicious and kid-friendly meal. I say it all the time, but sometimes the simplest recipes taste the best. This hamburger noodle casserole can be on your table in just over 30 minutes!
How to make beef noodle casserole (overview):
Cook the egg noodles for a minute or two less than package directions indicate, then drain them and add them to a 9x13 baking dish. Meanwhile, cook the beef and onions in a skillet, then stir in the marinara sauce and let it warm through. Add the beef mixture to the noodles, along with half of the cheese. Toss and spread it out evenly, then top with the remaining cheese and bake at 375F until hot and bubbly. (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- This recipe would be delicious with Italian sausage meat, or swap the beef for turkey for a lighter version.
- Use any jarred tomato-based sauce (or try my homemade marinara sauce). You could even drizzle some Alfredo sauce in for a pop of creamy flavor.
- You could definitely throw in some chopped veggies (I'd sauté them with the beef). Mushrooms or spinach are good options.
- Any easy melting cheese would work here. I used a mozza/cheddar blend (I just bought a bag of it to save time).
- Give the recipe a Tex-Mex twist by using a Tex-Mex (or Mexican) cheese blend and adding a tablespoon of chili powder to the ground beef.
- You could add in some freshly grated parmesan cheese in addition to the other cheeses if you wish (try 1/2 to 1 cup).
- Make ahead tip: Assemble it just prior to the baking step, then cover and refrigerate for up to a day ahead. I would bake it covered (like with foil) for the first 10 minutes or so, then uncover for the rest.
- Leftovers should last 3-4 days in the fridge, but as with any pasta/noodle dish, it's likely to dry out a bit/the noodles will soak the sauce up, so you may need to add a little more marinara sauce to revitalize leftovers.
What to serve with beef noodle casserole?
More tasty ground beef recipes to try:
- Easy Baked Spaghetti
- Ground Beef Gnocchi
- Easy Cheesy Baked Ravioli
- One Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
Questions about this beef noodle casserole? Let me know in the comments below!
Beef Noodle Casserole
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheddar blend (or just use cheddar)
- Preheat your oven to 375F and move the rack to the top third of the oven.
- Cook the noodles for a minute or two less than the package directions indicate, then drain them and transfer them to a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil, onion, and ground beef to a skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, breaking the meat up as you go along, until it's cooked through (about 8-10 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
- If there's a lot of excess fat in the skillet, spoon most of it out, then add in the marinara sauce and let it warm through.
- Pour the beef mixture into the casserole dish and add half the cheese and toss together (I also like to add some salt & pepper at this point), then smooth it out in an even layer.
- Top the casserole with the remaining cheese and bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and it's nice and hot. Optional: broil for a few minutes (watch it carefully) to brown the cheese.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.