This easy healthy chicken and mushroom soup recipe is hearty and flavorful. It’s also a great way to use up leftover chicken and comes together in just over 30 minutes.
I used crimini (or cremini, depending on what you read!) mushrooms, but as always, feel free to sub your favorite mushrooms or whatever you have on hand. Portobello mushrooms would give this soup an even richer taste. White mushrooms would work too!
I used half-and-half in this mushroom and chicken soup to give it a touch of creaminess. You could use heavy cream if you wanted an even creamier feel, but I was going for something satisfying yet still light.
Hope you try this creamy chicken and mushroom soup recipe! Tell me in the comments below if you’ve made it or have any questions.
Chicken Mushroom Soup Recipe
This healthy chicken and mushroom soup recipe is hearty and flavorful. It's also a great way to use up leftover chicken and comes together in just over 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped finely
- 6 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled & sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 dashes Italian seasoning
- 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans chicken broth or stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup tubular pasta (e.g. ditali, ditalini, macaroni, etc.)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (e.g. rotisserie or leftover), shredded
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Add the olive oil and onion to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the mushrooms and carrots.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pot and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, and water to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add the pasta and chicken to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the half-and-half and salt & pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes. The carrots should be cooked by now, but if they're not, give it another few minutes.
Courses Main Course