This creamy lemon basil pasta is a rich yet fresh vegetarian pasta dish that is ready in only 20 minutes!
This pasta dish is creamy, yet it’s cream-free. Usually I don’t shy away from cream around here, but I wanted to try something a bit different.
I used cream cheese in place of cream, and its tanginess perfectly pairs with the lemon in this dish.
The cream cheese melts into a nice, thick sauce. Adding a generous helping of parmesan cheese to the other cheese makes this even more delightful. 😉
Add some lovely fresh herbs (basil and parsley), garlic (duh), and some lemon zest and you’ve got yourself a quick meal that’s perfect for spring. It looks like my weather wishes may have been answered and spring is possibly on the way here! *fingers crossed*
Fresh basil is one of my favorite things. It really lifts anything you put it in! I sometimes struggle to find nice basil in the winter, but that doesn’t stop me from hunting it down and buying it every week anyway. I sometimes wonder if I could grow my own (I have reasons not to, including my total lack of green thumb). Maaaybe we’ll attempt it this summer.
Will you make this creamy lemon basil pasta?
Creamy Lemon Basil Pasta
A deliciously creamy vegetarian pasta dish that's super quick and easy.
- 8 ounces pasta (I used penne)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- Juice & zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 dashes Italian seasoning
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large handful fresh basil, torn
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped finely
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Boil a salted pot of water and cook pasta according to package directions.
- When the pasta water is about to boil, add olive oil to a skillet on medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 8-10 minutes, or until it's softened and lightly browned.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the cream cheese, lemon juice and zest, and Italian seasoning. Stir for a couple of minutes until the cheese has melted into a sauce. Stir in the parmesan.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water prior to draining the pasta. Add 1/4 cup of the pasta water to the sauce. If you want the sauce thinned even more, add pasta water one tablespoon at a time. Once the sauce is thinned to your liking, add in the basil, parsley, and salt & pepper. Add the pasta to the skillet and toss. Serve immediately.
Courses Vegetarian Pasta