This creamy asparagus pasta is a decadent and delicious meatless pasta recipe made with cream cheese, lemon, asparagus, and garlic. It's ready in only 30 minutes!
The tangy creamy cheese + the lemon juice and zest complement the asparagus well. The sauce is definitely rich, but the lemon really brings some brightness.
Although asparagus is generally available year-round here in North America, it's in season during the spring, April being the prime month for it. Asparagus season runs until June typically.
How to make creamy asparagus pasta
- Let the cream cheese soften up prior to starting the recipe (it's then much easier to work with);
- Start boiling the water for your pasta and prep the recipe ingredients;
- Melt the butter and oil in a skillet and add the garlic.
- Make the sauce: add the chicken broth, lemon juice and zest, cream cheese, and Italian seasoning;
- Add the asparagus and cook it in the sauce until it's cooked to your liking;
- Drain the pasta and toss it in the sauce. Serve and enjoy! (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below).
Recipe notes & tips:
- You can easily make this pasta recipe vegetarian if you substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- I used penne, but feel free to use a different kind of pasta if you want.
- This dish would work as a side - it doesn't have to be the main event.
Other creamy pasta recipes you may like:
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Creamy Lemon Basil Pasta
- Creamy Tuscan Ravioli (One Pan, 15 Minutes!)
- Easy Creamy Lemon Pasta
Let me know if you make this creamy asparagus pasta recipe! Tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations 🙂
Questions? Let me know in the comments below!
Creamy Lemon Asparagus Pasta
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth or veg broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice + zest of 1/2 lemon
- 8.8 ounces cream cheese (one block Philly) softened
- 1 dash Italian seasoning
- 1 bunch asparagus ends trimmed
- For serving: freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped parsley optional
- I strongly recommend letting the cream cheese sit on your counter for a bit to warm up prior to starting this recipe - it makes the process go a lot smoother.
- Boil a salted pot of water for your pasta. Meanwhile, prep your ingredients. Cut the ends off the asparagus and discard them, and then cut the asparagus up into pieces.
- Add the oil and butter to a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic in once it's hot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, lemon juice + zest, cream cheese, and Italian seasoning to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is nice and smooth.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 5 minutes or until it's tender-crisp and the sauce has thickened to your liking. If the sauce becomes too thick, and some more chicken broth. Season the sauce with salt & pepper as needed.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese and/or parsley if desired.
- I used fairly thin asparagus. If you buy the really thick kind, you'll have to cook it longer, so adjust timing as necessary.
- I love using my Microplane zester/grater for the lemon zest and the parmesan.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.