This creamy asparagus pasta is a decadent and delicious meatless pasta recipe made with cream cheese, lemon, asparagus, and garlic. It's ready in only 30 minutes!
The tangy creamy cheese + the lemon juice and zest complement the asparagus well. The sauce is definitely rich, but the lemon really brings some brightness.
Although asparagus is generally available year-round here in North America, it's in season during the spring, April being the prime month for it. Asparagus season runs until June typically.
Love asparagus pasta? Try my Healthy Shrimp and Asparagus Pasta Recipe, this Asparagus and Bacon Pasta, or my Asparagus and Mushroom Pasta.
How to make creamy asparagus pasta
- Let the cream cheese soften up prior to starting the recipe (it's then much easier to work with);
- Start boiling the water for your pasta and prep the recipe ingredients;
- Melt the butter and oil in a skillet and add the garlic.
- Make the sauce: add the chicken broth, lemon juice and zest, cream cheese, and Italian seasoning;
- Add the asparagus and cook it in the sauce until it's cooked to your liking;
- Drain the pasta and toss it in the sauce. Serve and enjoy! (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below).
Recipe notes & tips:
- You can easily make this pasta recipe vegetarian if you substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- I used penne, but feel free to use a different kind of pasta if you want.
- This dish would work as a side - it doesn't have to be the main event.
Other creamy pasta recipes you may like:
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Creamy Lemon Basil Pasta
- Creamy Tuscan Ravioli (One Pan, 15 Minutes!)
- Easy Creamy Lemon Pasta
Let me know if you make this creamy asparagus pasta recipe! Tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations 🙂
Questions? Let me know in the comments below!
Creamy Lemon Asparagus Pasta
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth or veg broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice + zest of 1/2 lemon
- 8.8 ounces cream cheese (one block Philly) softened
- 1 dash Italian seasoning
- 1 bunch asparagus ends trimmed
- For serving: freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped parsley optional
- I strongly recommend letting the cream cheese sit on your counter for a bit to warm up prior to starting this recipe - it makes the process go a lot smoother.
- Boil a salted pot of water for your pasta. Meanwhile, prep your ingredients. Cut the ends off the asparagus and discard them, and then cut the asparagus up into pieces.
- Add the oil and butter to a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic in once it's hot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, lemon juice + zest, cream cheese, and Italian seasoning to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is nice and smooth.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 5 minutes or until it's tender-crisp and the sauce has thickened to your liking. If the sauce becomes too thick, and some more chicken broth. Season the sauce with salt & pepper as needed.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese and/or parsley if desired.
- I used fairly thin asparagus. If you buy the really thick kind, you'll have to cook it longer, so adjust timing as necessary.
- I love using my Microplane zester/grater for the lemon zest and the parmesan.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
How much pasta? I don't see it in the ingredients list...I might be missing it. Thank you! I can't wait to make it!! Your texted are THE BEST!
Whoops... just updated it. They say 2 oz/person is a good rule of thumb, but sometimes people think that's a tiny portion, so use your best judgment 🙂 Hope you like the recipe!!
Matt - Total Feasts says
I do love asparagus, so delicious. With this creamy sauce, I bet it is absolutely delicious!
Delicious ! Tried it today as I had a lot of asparagus at home . fussy eaters at home and they loved it . Thank you
So glad to hear that, Neha!!
Ashlyn @ F5 Method says
Asparagus just belongs in pasta, doesn't it? This looks amazing Natasha and I'm drooling over that creamy sauce!!!
Thanks so much!!