This easy healthy shrimp and asparagus pasta is deliciously lemony, fast, and uses only a handful of ingredients. Ready in 20 minutes!
The shrimp and asparagus shine in the olive oil, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese sauce. It really is a dish that's reminiscent of spring!
This asparagus and shrimp pasta recipe is nice and satisfying, but it's also fairly light and can give you a little break from cream sauces (you know how much I love to make those).
Love asparagus and pasta? You may also like my asparagus and mushroom pasta, this asparagus and salmon pasta, or my lighter asparagus and bacon pasta. Or try the easiest way to cook asparagus (great side dish).
When I first tested this recipe, I tried using half-and-half, but I totally botched the sauce and managed to separate it. I should have known that the lemon juice would curdle it, but I did it anyway and ended up throwing the first batch of sauce away (thankfully no shrimp were involved yet).
It's a good lesson if you're ever tweaking a recipe. If you want a creamy sauce but there's a lot of citrus in the recipe, stick to heavy cream. You'll get a much better consistency and result, and it is much less likely to curdle.
I'm actually pretty glad plan A failed and I moved onto plan B. When life gives you lemons lol...
I'm happy that I ended up with a light and cheerful pasta that really didn't need any creaminess to be good.
Try my other shrimp pasta recipes:
- Creamy Lemon Shrimp Pasta
- Spicy Shrimp Pasta with a Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Easy Creamy Shrimp and Broccoli Pasta
- Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- Shrimp and Bacon Pasta
Hope you love this shrimp asparagus pasta!
Let me know in the comments below if you've made it. 🙂
Healthy Shrimp and Asparagus Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 1 bunch of asparagus ends trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice + zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 pound medium shrimp thawed & peeled (tails on optional)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil a large, salted pot of water for the pasta. Cook al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prep your other ingredients.
- Add the oil and lemon juice + zest to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the shrimp and garlic. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to medium, and let it cook for 3 minutes. If the shrimp are still a little gray, cover the pan again and continue cooking them for another minute or two (be careful not to overcook).
- Stir in the parmesan, fresh parsley, and 1 tablespoon of the pasta water. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet. Season with salt & pepper as needed. Add an extra squeeze of lemon juice as well if desired. Serve immediately.
- I used a fairly small bunch of asparagus for this recipe.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.