This creamy lemon shrimp pasta recipe is easy enough to make on a weeknight and impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Ready in 30 minutes!
This post was originally published on September 9, 2015. I periodically update some of my old posts with new photos, better info, and more clearly written recipes.
This creamy shrimp pasta recipe is one of my favorites. Sometimes a creamy pasta is the only thing that will do.
White wine, parmesan cheese, plump, juicy shrimp... this dish is comforting and decadent. And easy!
It cooks really fast, and the whole thing is ready in about half an hour.
I first made this for my mom, and she loved it. I've made it several times since, and it never fails to impress. Occasionally I tweak the recipe a little bit to make it even simpler and better.
The lemon cream sauce is everything you'd expect it to be. Vibrantly lemony, garlicky, rich, and... wait for it... creamy. As the weather gets crisper, hearty pasta dishes appeal to me more and more.
Ok so, this dish isn't exactly health food, but the occasional treat is fine. 😉 I made this creamy lemon garlic shrimp pasta with spaghetti, but you could definitely sub in your pasta of choice if you wish. Linguine or fettuccine would be amazing too. Or whatever your favorite shape is.
How to make lemon garlic parmesan shrimp pasta
Add butter, lemon zest + juice, garlic, wine, cream, and Italian seasoning to a skillet over medium-high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Gradually add flour to the sauce to thicken, then stir in the parmesan cheese. Continue simmering; add shrimp and cook for another 5 minutes.
Drain pasta, reserving some of the water. Toss pasta with the sauce and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, you may also like this shrimp Alfredo, my popular creamy garlic salmon pasta, this creamy shrimp and mushroom pasta, this creamy shrimp and broccoli pasta, or my salmon pasta with a creamy tomato sauce.
Looking for something lighter? Try my shrimp and asparagus pasta.
Hope you love this creamy shrimp spaghetti recipe!
Questions? Let me know in the comments below!
Creamy Lemon Shrimp Pasta
- 8 ounces pasta (I used spaghetti)
- 1 pound shrimp (I used 31-40 count size) peeled & thawed
- Zest and juice of one lemon (about 2 tbsp lemon juice)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 dashes of Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- Boil a large, well-salted pot of water for the pasta. Cook al dente as directed.
- Meanwhile, add the butter, lemon zest and lemon juice, minced garlic, white wine, cream, and Italian seasoning to a skillet over medium-high heat. Let the sauce bubble for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the flour to sauce, stirring/whisking constantly to ensure sauce is smooth.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Continue to simmer the sauce on medium heat for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently. The sauce should be noticeably thickened by now. If not, continue simmering it for a few more minutes.
- Add shrimp and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes until sauce is thickened as desired and shrimp are cooked.
- Drain the spaghetti (reserve a tablespoon of the pasta water and add it to the sauce), then toss the pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
- If you followed the directions and your sauce isn't thickening enough, you could try simmering it for a bit longer before you add the shrimp and/or add more flour (no more than 1 tsp at a time).
- This is my favorite lemon zester.
- The sauce is quite lemony. If you're not into that, use only one tablespoon of lemon juice.