This asparagus and mushroom pasta is a healthy, light, and super flavorful meatless dish that comes together quickly and tastes like spring!
Well, as I type this, it’s snowing outside. It does that a lot here. We’ve been spoiled this winter, but I still can’t stand the cold white stuff falling from the sky.
I’m a meat and potatoes kinda guy, so I was quite surprised just how much I enjoyed this pasta dish.
I have a bit of a hate on for farfalle (bowtie) pasta. When I was an obnoxious teenager, my mom made me spaghetti and meatballs with bowties instead of spaghetti.
Being the budding gourmand, I threw the biggest hissy fit because HOW DARE SHE FEED ME BOWTIE PASTA WITH MEATBALLS, and I subsequently got myself banned from that spaghetti and meatballs recipe for like 10 years. Good times.
Why did I choose bowties for this recipe? Because I want to re-live those repressed memories.
…No, I just thought it would look pretty in photos. You can choose any kind of pasta you want. Feel safe in knowing that.
How to make asparagus and mushroom pasta
Boil a large, salted pot of water for the pasta; make the sauce while the pasta cooks.
Sauté the asparagus pieces in butter and olive oil in a skillet for 5 minutes; add mushrooms and cook until softened.
Add garlic, lemon juice, and salt & pepper.
Drain pasta (optional: reserve a little pasta water to toss with the sauce) and serve the sauce over pasta.
Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Delish!
Will you make this healthy asparagus and mushroom pasta recipe?
Let me know in the comments!
Asparagus and Mushroom Pasta
A fast and delicious vegetarian pasta dish that is perfect for spring.
- 4 ounces farfalle (or other) pasta
- 1/2 bunch asparagus (approx. 12 stalks) ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 ounces white mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to directions.
- Grate parmesan. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt butter and olive oil on medium heat.
- Cut asparagus into roughly five equal sections (four cuts). Add asparagus to pan and cook for approximately five minutes.
- While asparagus is cooking, slice mushrooms. Add to skillet. Cook for a few minutes, until mushrooms are softened.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Stir and cook for a couple more minutes. Serve over the pasta once it has cooked and generously sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Recipe is easily doubled.
Love asparagus? You may also like my healthy asparagus and shrimp pasta.