This creamy tomato chicken recipe is simple to make, delicious, fast, and uses everyday ingredients. Ready in about 30 minutes!
The tomato sauce in this recipe uses a combo of tomato paste, cream, and fresh tomatoes for a silky and bright sauce. A little garlic and Italian seasoning punch up the flavor even more.
How to make chicken with tomato cream sauce (overview):
Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you've got 4 thinner cutlets. Sprinkle them with salt & pepper and garlic powder, then coat them in flour. Sear them in a skillet until they're cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan. To the same skillet, add the garlic and tomato paste, followed by the cream and Italian seasoning. Whisk until a smooth sauce forms. Add in the fresh tomato, and continue cooking the sauce for another few minutes. Add the chicken back in and spoon some sauce over top. (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- You could throw in a handful of spinach towards the end if you would like to include some greens.
- You can swap the chicken breasts for chicken thighs if you prefer, but I'd cook them for a little bit longer than the suggested timing so they become nice and tender.
- I don't recommend subbing the cream for a lower fat alternative (e.g. milk or even half-and-half) since the acidity of the tomatoes may curdle the sauce.
- You can omit the flour if needed. I include it for a few reasons: it makes the chicken brown a bit nicer, it helps it not stick to the pan, and it also slightly thickens the sauce.
- Chicken is cooked when it reaches 165F in the thickest part. Using an instant read meat thermometer is a quick and simple method of testing so you never have to worry about undercooked or overcooked chicken breasts again.
What to serve with creamy tomato chicken?
Pasta, mashed potatoes, or rice.
Love tomatoes? Try these recipes:
- Super Easy Creamy Tomato Pasta
- Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
- Tomato Orzo with Chicken Sausage and Broccoli
- Creamy Tomato Gnocchi
- The Best Penne alla Vodka Recipe
Questions about this creamy tomato chicken recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Creamy Tomato Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Flour for dredging
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise (so you have 4 thinner pieces). Sprinkle them with the garlic powder and salt & pepper, and coat them in flour.
- Add the butter and olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat up for a few minutes.
- Cook the chicken for about 5-6 minutes/side or until golden and cooked through (165F). Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and tomato paste to the skillet and cook for about 20-30 seconds.
- Whisk in the cream and Italian seasoning until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped tomato. Let the sauce cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and spoon some sauce over top. Season with extra salt & pepper if needed, and serve immediately.
- I don't recommend substituting the cream with something that has a lower fat content as it's likely to curdle due to the acid in the tomatoes.
- If needed, you may leave the fresh tomato out.
- This dish is delicious with a bit of fresh basil added in just prior to serving.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.