This creamy tomato gnocchi soup is easy, comforting, and comes together fast. The pillowy gnocchi make this the best tomato soup ever.
I'm going to put it out there that this creamy gnocchi soup is one of the best recipes I've ever put on my blog. I'm that excited about it.
I LOVE tomato soup to begin with, but make it a creamy tomato soup and put gnocchi in it, and it's even better and more satisfying.
You may also like my Easy Tomato Soup Recipe.
The potato gnocchi cook right in the soup so there's no messing around with multiple pots. The gnocchi release starch, which thickens up the broth, and along with the cream, it's definitely a recipe I'm now going to have on repeat in my house.
This easy gnocchi soup was an interesting one to photograph. For some reason, I expected the gnocchi to float. That wasn't so.
I had a heck of a time arranging the bowl, and the photos you're seeing are my second attempt. I'm glad the soup tasted so good, or else I may have abandoned the recipe in frustration. 😛
Recipe notes & tips:
- I use the dry gnocchi that's found in the pasta aisle of most grocery stores. Refrigerated or frozen potato gnocchi will work too. I don't recommend using homemade gnocchi because I've received reader feedback that it's delicate and falls apart easily.
- I don't recommend subbing the heavy cream for half-and-half or milk. The acidity of the tomatoes will curdle it and you'll have a gritty texture.
- I sometimes add about a tablespoon or so of sugar to tomato soup if the tomatoes taste a bit too acidic/sour (they can vary from brand to brand).
- This soup reheats will. It continues to thicken up the longer you leave it, so after a few days in the fridge, it's really rich and luxurious. With that said, if you ever need to thin it out, add some more broth to it.
- I tweaked the recipe on May 14, 2020 to simplify the cooking process.
More easy gnocchi recipes:
- Creamy Tomato Gnocchi
- Sausage, Kale, and Gnocchi Soup
- Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce (No Cream)
- Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Gnocchi
I really hope you give this creamy tomato basil soup with gnocchi a try... I know I will be making it again soon!
Questions? Ask me in the comments below!
Creamy Tomato Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can crushed tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pound uncooked potato gnocchi
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Handful fresh basil torn (optional)
- Melt the oil & butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for about 5-7 minutes, or until it's lightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, water, cream, Italian seasoning, and gnocchi. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring it occasionally. The broth will continue to thicken up the longer it cooks from the starch that the gnocchi releases.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed and add the fresh basil just before serving. Enjoy!
- Serves 4-6.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.