This chicken gnocchi soup recipe is quick, easy, and comforting. The pillowy gnocchi melt in your mouth!
This creamy chicken gnocchi soup is pretty quick when all is said and done. It takes about 35-40 minutes to make, which isn't bad. It's a great way to use up leftover chicken if you have some, but I typically just buy rotisserie chicken when I want to make a soup like this. Generally you will have some meat left over from a whole chicken, so it's easy to make more than one dish from it.
I know there's an Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup out there, but I've never actually tried it. I see a lot of copycats on Pinterest, and this is not meant to be one, but it's a very good creamy gnocchi soup... Olive Garden or not. 😉
I won't go as far as to call this soup healthy, but it does have some healthy veggies in here and only a cup of cream for the entire pot of soup. There are definitely worse comfort foods out there haha.
The gnocchi cooks right in the soup and the starch released from the potatoes helps to thicken it up.
I just buy the shelf-stable gnocchi that you can find in the pasta aisle in most major grocery stores.
How to make chicken gnocchi soup
- Sauté the onion, celery, and carrots in a soup pot for 8-10 minutes;
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes;
- Add the chicken broth, water, seasoning, chicken and gnocchi then bring the soup to a boil;
- Simmer soup for 10 minutes;
- Stir in the cream and spinach and cook for a few more minutes.
Easy peasy! The perfect weeknight dinner for cold weather.
Substitutions: You can use half-and-half or even milk, but in my opinion you can't beat the taste and consistency of heavy cream.
Want to throw in extra veggies? That definitely won't hurt anything in here.
I hope you'll love this easy chicken and gnocchi soup recipe!
Questions? Let me know in the comments below.
Easy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 3 medium carrots sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cooked chicken I used rotisserie
- 1 pound potato gnocchi
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach (packed)
Add the oil and butter to a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, celery, and carrot to the pot. Sauté for 8-10 minutes with the lid slightly ajar. Stir once or twice while sautéing.
Add the garlic and mushrooms to the pot and cook for a few minutes.
Stir in the chicken broth, water, Italian seasoning, chicken, and gnocchi. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil.
Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in the cream and spinach. Cook for a few more minutes until the spinach is wilted and the soup is heated through. Season with salt & pepper as needed and serve.
- You can use milk or half-and-half instead of cream if you prefer.
- The longer you cook/leave the soup to sit, the more it'll thicken up because the gnocchi will release starch.