It's easy and quick to make Instant Pot spaghetti squash! Free up your stove while making this super easy vegetable side.
I love spaghetti squash. I only discovered it as an adult, which is a shame since it's probably one of the more fun vegetables for kiddos. It's super healthy too! It's also a great way for those on low carb/keto diets to enjoy something that (sort of) resembles spaghetti. Whatever your reason for eating it, I certainly recommend the Instant Pot method for cooking spaghetti squash. I find it easier than other methods, and if you're making it for a special occasion like Thanksgiving, you still have the stove available for all your other pots and pans.
How to cook spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot
1. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds
Do this carefully with a large, sharp knife. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
2. Place squash in the Instant Pot with 1 cup of water
You can use the trivet if you wish, but I don't think it's necessary.
3. Cook it on high pressure for 6 minutes then do a quick pressure release
There is no exact science on how long to cook spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot. I find 6 minutes is good for a 3-pound squash to end up not too soft/mushy and not too "al dente". However, if you prefer it to be slightly firmer, give it 5 minutes. Adjust by a minute or two either way depending on the size of your squash. Keep in mind that anything much bigger than a 3-pound spaghetti squash likely won't fit in a 6-quart Instant Pot. Also, be sure to do a quick release or the squash will keep on cooking.
4. Remove the squash from the Instant Pot and "rake" it with a fork
The squash will be really hot, so I recommend using two large spoons to take it out of the Instant Pot. Once I'm done "raking" it, I like to add some salt, pepper, and butter. You can eat it right in the squash halves or transfer it to a plate to enjoy with the rest of your meal.
What to serve with spaghetti squash
Spaghetti squash is a delicious side that pairs well with many meals. Try it with my creamy garlic chicken or this spinach artichoke salmon recipe.
Other squash recipes you may enjoy:
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup (Thick & Creamy)
- Honey Roasted Butternut Squash
- Thai Coconut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Carrot Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta
- Sausage and Parmesan Stuffed Acorn Squash
Have you ever made spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot?
Questions? Give me a shout in the comments below.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (mine was about 3 lbs.)
- 1 cup water
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half. Remove the seeds (I just use a spoon to do this).
- Add the water to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the squash halves in the Instant Pot. You can use the trivet insert, but I don't (it doesn't really make any difference).
- Close the IP's lid and set the valve to "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to get up to pressure.
- Once the countdown has finished, do a quick pressure release. Carefully remove the squash from the Instant Pot. Use a fork to "rake" the squash so it looks like spaghetti. Serve immediately (I always put some butter and salt & pepper on it).
- Depending on the size of your squash, you may need to adjust the timing by a minute or two. Keep in mind that anything much bigger than a 3-pound spaghetti squash may not fit in a 6-qt Instant Pot.
- This is the Instant Pot that I used to make this recipe.
- Calorie information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee.
I also had a 3lb spaghetti squash and this cooked perfectly! Thank you!! I'll be incorporating more spaghetti squash into meals now that I can make it this quickly and easily 😀
Diane Bull says
Wow, i will be giving it a try, never thought of cooking squash in my IP
Let me know if you like it! 🙂