This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This roasted butternut squash pasta recipe is sure to become a favorite this fall! Butternut squash, warm spices, sage, and a brown butter sauce makes this easy pasta recipe a winner.
I’ve gone down the sage and brown butter sauce routine once before on this blog with this mashed sweet potatoes recipe. It’s one of those well-loved combos that I wanted to explore further!
This butternut squash orecchiette recipe really hits the spot. I can confirm that another human besides my husband (my sister) tested it, and she liked it. Did you know that orecchiette means “little ears”? It’s also really difficult to spell.
The butternut squash pasta sauce is quite sweet, so I want to put that out there. I think we all know that roasting veggies brings out their sweetness, but if you aren’t into that, I suggest skipping this one. The brown butter sage sauce definitely takes it out of pumpkin pie territory, though. 😉
I swear there was an orecchiette shortage in my city when I was shopping for ingredients for this vegetarian butternut squash pasta recipe.
I ALWAYS see it in the pasta aisle, but of course the one time I actually needed it, it was nowhere to be found.
I ended up going to like 4 grocery stores on a Friday night (insert random comment on how I need to get a life) until I finally tracked some down in an Italian specialty market. Geez.
With that said, as always, feel free to sub your favorite pasta/what’s available, but I really think orecchiette goes well with this dish. 🙂
Sweet buttery goodness is what fall pasta recipes should be about, in my opinion. Total cozy comfort food! Enjoy!
You may also like my honey roasted butternut squash recipe.
Questions? Ask me in the comments below!
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled & cut into 3/4" pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F and move the rack to the middle position.
- Prep your butternut squash and add the pieces to a large baking sheet. Sprinkle the squash with the cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic powder, and salt & pepper. Add the olive oil and toss until everything is coated. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway, or until the squash is cooked and lightly browned.
- Boil a generously salted pot of water and cook the orecchiette according to package directions.
- When the squash is about done, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the sage for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. The sage will be crispy and the butter lightly browned (this is good - it adds a lovely nutty flavor to the dish).
- Add the squash to the skillet along with 2 tablespoons of the pasta water and the drained orecchiette. Toss everything together and serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan if desired.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.