This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This sausage stuffed acorn squash recipe makes a cozy and delicious cold weather meal! It’s loaded with parmesan cheese, butter, and fresh thyme – you’ll love the fall flavors!
I’ve been meaning to make a sausage stuffed squash recipe for a while now. It’s sat on my to-do list for a couple of months.
I used to roast acorn squash practically every week, but I’ve never stuffed them with anything up until this point. I’ve stuffed mushrooms with sausage like in this recipe, but never squash.
I’ve seen versions of stuffed squash with other fillers used, but this version has sausage and parmesan cheese… two of my favorite things. 😉
The sausage and cheese crisp up in the oven and fill your house with the loveliest aroma. Definitely a fab fall treat (or a low carb Thanksgiving recipe)!
How to make sausage stuffed acorn squash
Making these is pretty simple. I’d say that cutting the squash in half is the hardest part! My best tip is to use a large, sharp knife, and don’t try cutting through the stem. Once that’s done, you pop them in the oven with a little bit of butter, and proceed to fry up the sausages.
Stuff the squash after they’ve had the chance to roast for a while, and then let the oven finish its magic. So tasty!
What to serve with stuffed acorn squash
You could eat these by themselves for a low carb meal, or pair these with a nice salad or even a starch of your choice like these mashed potatoes. You can’t go wrong here.
Don’t want to throw away the squash seeds? Try this roasted acorn squash seeds recipe!
I used pork sausages in here, but feel free to switch it up with another variety if you prefer.
If you love stuffed veggies, you may also like my sausage stuffed peppers!
Other squash recipes you may like:
- Butternut Squash Soup (Thick & Creamy)
- Honey Roasted Butternut Squash
- Thai Coconut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Butternut Squash Carrot Soup
I hope you enjoy this sausage stuffed acorn squash recipe. 🙂
Questions? Let me know in the comments below!
Sausage & Parmesan Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage see note
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Butter to taste
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1.5 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F and move the rack to the middle position.
- Cut each acorn squash in half and scoop out the innards. Place them on a baking sheet (face up) and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Place a small piece of butter in each half. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown the sausage meat in a skillet over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes and break it up with a spoon as it's cooking.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, thyme leaves (remove from stems), parmesan, and more salt/pepper if desired.
- Take the squash out of the oven and fill each half with the sausage mixture. Roast for an additional 30 minutes.
- The acorn squash should be roughly the same size. I bought fairly large ones for this dish. If yours are smaller, you may want to use less sausage (I used 4 from a 5-pack of Johnsonville Mild Italian sausages and took the sausage meat out of the casings)... anywhere around a pound or so of sausage meat should work fine.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.