This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This low carb taco salad recipe is healthy, easy to make, and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s loaded with delicious southwest flavors!
This low-carb beef taco salad recipe really hit the spot for me. It’s been ages since I’ve had a taco salad with ground beef. And guess what? I didn’t even miss the tortilla chips. There’s plenty of flavor and crunch in here without it.
The taco salad dressing is simply sour cream, the adobo sauce that comes in a can of chipotle chilis, and some fresh lime juice. It tastes amazing with the other ingredients!
What’s in taco salad?
This easy taco salad recipe includes:
- Romaine lettuce
- Extra lean ground beef
- Red onions
- Cheese (you can use just cheddar but I used a Mexican shredded cheese blend that includes cheddar, Monterey Jack, and queso quesadilla cheeses)
- A homemade sour-cream based chipotle dressing
- An easy homemade spice blend similar to taco seasoning that you can buy
I left out the tortilla chips – this saves carbs and calories.
I think you’ll love this smoky chipotle taco salad recipe. I love how fast it comes together, and we’ve only got healthy real-food ingredients in here. Definitely one of my favorite comfort foods.
How do you make taco salad low-carb?
You don’t really have to make too many changes to make a taco salad low-carb. I omitted the tortilla chips that are sometimes included in taco salad recipes. I actually don’t miss them at all, and I find that the onions and lettuce give it enough crunch.
I also left out beans, which you sometimes see in taco salad recipes.
I used a few spices to make my own homemade taco seasoning for this salad, but if you’re in a rush or don’t have the individual spices, you can use taco seasoning instead.
Hope you love this low-carb ground beef taco salad recipe!
Questions? Ask me in the comments below.
Low-Carb Taco Salad Recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 medium red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese blend
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 cup little tomatoes (grape, cherry, etc.) halved
- 1 small head romaine lettuce torn into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (see note)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil, beef, and spices to a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, using a spoon to break the meat up into smaller pieces (and stir often), for around 7 minutes or until it's cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prep your other salad ingredients and add them to a large salad bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk them together.
- Once the ground beef is cooked, sprinkle it over the salad. Add dressing and toss. Serve immediately.
- Adobo sauce is the sauce that's in those little cans of chipotle chilis with adobo sauce (find these in the Mexican aisle at the grocery store). The dressing was semi-spicy when I used 1 tbsp of the sauce. It gives the dressing a wonderful smoky flavor. Add more if you want it hotter. Chop up a pepper or two if you want it really spicy!
- If you don't want to use the individual spices like I did, you can use pre-made taco seasoning if you prefer.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.