This low carb taco salad recipe is healthy, easy to make, and it's ready in less than 30 minutes. It's loaded with delicious southwest flavors!
This low-carb beef taco salad recipe really hit the spot for me. It's been ages since I've had a taco salad with ground beef. And guess what? I didn't even miss the tortilla chips. There's plenty of flavor and crunch in here without it.
The taco salad dressing is simply sour cream, the adobo sauce that comes in a can of chipotle chilis, and some fresh lime juice. It tastes amazing with the other ingredients!
What's in taco salad?
This easy taco salad recipe includes:
- Romaine lettuce
- Extra lean ground beef
- Red onions
- Cheese (you can use just cheddar but I used a Mexican shredded cheese blend that includes cheddar, Monterey Jack, and queso quesadilla cheeses)
- A homemade sour-cream based chipotle dressing
- An easy homemade spice blend similar to taco seasoning that you can buy
I left out the tortilla chips - this saves carbs and calories.
I think you'll love this smoky chipotle taco salad recipe. I love how fast it comes together, and we've only got healthy real-food ingredients in here. Definitely one of my favorite comfort foods.
How do you make taco salad low-carb?
You don't really have to make too many changes to make a taco salad low-carb. I omitted the tortilla chips that are sometimes included in taco salad recipes. I actually don't miss them at all, and I find that the onions and lettuce give it enough crunch.
I also left out beans, which you sometimes see in taco salad recipes.
I used a few spices to make my own homemade taco seasoning for this salad, but if you're in a rush or don't have the individual spices, you can use taco seasoning instead.
Hope you love this low-carb ground beef taco salad recipe!
Questions? Ask me in the comments below.
Low-Carb Taco Salad Recipe
This low-carb taco salad recipe is healthy, easy to make, and it's ready in less than 30 minutes. It's packed with delicious southwest flavors!
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 medium red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese blend
- 1 avocado chopped
- Handful little tomatoes halved
- 1 small head romaine lettuce torn into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (see note)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil, beef, and spices to a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, using a spoon to break the meat up into smaller pieces (and stir often), for around 7 minutes or until it's cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prep your other salad ingredients and add them to a large salad bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk them together.
- Once the ground beef is cooked, sprinkle it over the salad. Add dressing and toss. Serve immediately.
- Adobo sauce is the sauce that's in those little cans of chipotle chilis with adobo sauce (find these in the Mexican aisle at the grocery store). The dressing was semi-spicy when I used 1 tbsp of the sauce. It gives the dressing a wonderful smoky flavor. Add more if you want it hotter. Chop up a pepper or two if you want it really spicy!
- If you don't want to use the individual spices like I did, you can use pre-made taco seasoning if you prefer.
Calorie information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee.