This vegan pumpkin and lentil soup is hearty, healthy, and comforting. A delicious fall soup idea!
I used canned pumpkin to make this soup. I love roasted squash in soup recipes, but I wanted to add a recipe that’s a bit quicker and less fussy. Not that roasting veggies is exactly arduous, but you know what I mean. Sometimes you just want to chuck everything in a pot and get on with it.
I was invited to participate in this year’s Cake Over Steak Virtual Pumpkin Party, and I thought this would be a great savory pumpkin recipe to include. If you’re interested in seeing some other awesome pumpkin recipes, click the link above – they have all gone live this morning. 🙂
I really like the depth of flavor in this soup. I don’t use leeks in soup too often (not sure why!), but I love the flavor that they add. Chili powder, cumin, and garlic impart extra deliciousness.
I toyed with not puréeing the soup, but I like the way it ended up. I’m really loving silky puréed vegetable soups lately, I have to say. I recently remade and re-photographed my acorn squash and carrot soup, and if you like this soup, you’ll probably like that one as well. I also recently made a spicy puréed sweet potato soup that you may also enjoy.
I topped this vegan pumpkin soup with a little sumac, chopped parsley, and some fresh chives. I love topping soups with chives, but whatever your favorite toppings are would work just fine as well. Croutons, a slice of crusty bread… or nothing at all. 😉
Hope you enjoy this healthy pumpkin soup recipe!
Pumpkin and Lentil Soup
This vegan pumpkin and red lentil soup is hearty, healthy, and comforting.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small to medium leeks (white parts only), chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1 large carrot, peeled & sliced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Add the oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. Sautée the leek and onion for 10 minutes, stirring fairly often.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, pumpkin purée, carrot, lentils, Italian seasoning, cumin, and chili powder. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once it's boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and cover with the lid slightly ajar. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup in batches until it's smooth (I suggest letting the soup cool for at least 15 minutes first). Season with salt & pepper as needed and serve immediately.
Made one of my recipes? Tag me on IG @saltandlavender and hashtag #saltandlavender so I can see it 🙂
All images and content are © Salt & Lavender.