These tender slow cooker chicken thighs are super easy to make with a short prep time and everyday ingredients. The honey garlic sauce is delicious!
This is a meal that's sure to become a family favorite. The sauce is kid and adult friendly! Boneless chicken thighs are a great choice for slow cooking because they become more tender and don't dry out as easily as chicken breasts.
How to make slow cooker chicken thighs (overview):
Place the chicken thighs in your slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk the sauce ingredients together, then pour it over the chicken. Cook on high for 3.5 hours, then add in the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce up and continue cooking it for another 15 minutes. Shred with two forks and enjoy! (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- You can swap the chicken thighs for chicken breasts, but they may not turn out quite as melt-in-your-mouth tender since they have less fat and aren't as well suited for slow cooking. Cooking time may need to be adjusted depending on their size.
- You can use bone-in chicken thighs. I would increase cook time to 4 hours on high. If you use ones that are skin-on, keep in mind the sauce may end up a little too oily.
- I use this Crockpot model.
- For the garlic, I simply use a garlic press to crush it (I do this as a shortcut for any recipe that requires minced garlic).
- Ginger is much easier to grate when it's frozen. I always keep a piece of ginger in my freezer (in a ZipLoc) and then grate it with my Microplane when needed. That way, you're also never without ginger!
What to serve with slow cooker chicken thighs?
They're delicious with rice and chopped scallions (I also garnished with sesame seeds, but that's totally optional!). You could serve the chicken in a bun with some coleslaw - that would be delicious too.
You may also like...
- Honey Garlic Soy Sauce Chicken
- Honey Garlic Salmon Recipe
- Honey Chicken (Asian Style)
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Easy Honey Mustard Chicken
Questions about these Crockpot honey garlic chicken thighs? Let me know in the comments below!
Honey Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- 2 pounds chicken thighs boneless skinless
- For serving: chopped scallions, sesame seeds, rice optional, to taste
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add the chicken thighs to your Crockpot (in an even layer).
- Add the sauce ingredients (except for the cornstarch) to a bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook on high for 3.5 hours. Low for 6-8 hours will work too.
- Mix the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl, and then pour it into the slow cooker. Give it a stir. Let it cook (on high) for another 15 minutes or so to ensure the cornstarch has activated and the sauce thickens.
- You can leave the chicken pieces whole or shred them with 2 forks (I do this right in the slow cooker). Serve over rice and with scallions and sesame seeds sprinkled over top if desired.
- This recipe serves 4-6 depending on portion size.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.