This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This spicy breaded fried chicken sandwich is easy to make, full of flavor, and it will please the spice lovers out there!
I have a couple of fried chicken sandwiches on here, but I wanted to do one more for now. The sliders are cute and of course tasty, and the jalapeno buttermilk one is delicious as well, but I wanted to do something very simple and nice and spicy.
It’s not like buttermilk fried chicken is particularly complicated, but it does take a bit of forethought.
This chicken sandwich takes very little planning, uses breadcrumbs that you probably already have, and doesn’t need to be marinated. A little peanut oil adds that magical touch that takes fried chicken to the next level of tastiness.
I used both sriracha sauce and chipotle chili pepper in the mayo. I wanted it to be spicy, not like when fast food restaurants promise spicy and it’s actually quite bland. If you’re a regular reader of my blog, you’ll know that I unfortunately don’t do well with spice, but my husband sure does. This sandwich made my mouth burn, which was a good sign, and my husband thoroughly enjoyed his sandwich.
As always, you can adjust the spice to your tastes. Kick it up even further, or tone it down a little. The smoked paprika adds a delicious smoky quality to the sandwich sauce.
Because I was going for a simple, classic fried chicken sandwich here, lettuce and tomato are the unpretentious toppings and go perfectly!
Questions? Leave me a comment!
Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Flour for dredging
- Breadcrumbs (I used Italian flavored ones)
- Peanut oil for frying
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 buns
- Prepare the sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients together. Set aside.
- Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise (I butterfly first to make it easier) so you end up with four pieces of chicken.
- Prepare 3 bowls - one with the egg, another with breadcrumbs, and the third with flour. Start with small amounts of breadcrumbs and flour and add more as needed.
- Heat 1/4" of peanut oil in a heavy skillet on medium-high heat.
- One by one, dip each piece of chicken in the flour, then the egg mixture, and finally the breadcrumbs. Add each piece to the pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and the breading is golden brown.
- Remove the chicken to a paper towel lined plate. If you want to toast the inside of the buns, simply place them in the same pan you cooked the chicken in for a couple of minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy!
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.