This spinach artichoke chicken recipe has tender, golden chicken breasts smothered in a creamy spinach and artichoke sauce. It's fast (about 30 minutes) and simple to make!
This dish is based on my spinach artichoke salmon recipe that I posted last summer. I've had people on Instagram ask me if it can be made with chicken, so I figured why not add this recipe to the blog since there seems to be some interest.
Of course, this recipe, the salmon one, and my spinach artichoke gnocchi are all based on the popular hot dip recipe.
Artichokes can be a bit intimidating, but don't worry... this recipe is made with the canned variety. All the tough work is done for you - you just need to cut them up. 😉
How to make creamy spinach and artichoke chicken
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make 4 thinner pieces, sprinkle them with salt & pepper and garlic powder, and coat them in flour;
- Sear the chicken on both sides until golden (about 4-5 minutes);
- Take chicken out of the skillet and then make the sauce (add the chicken broth, cream cheese, and garlic to the pan);
- Once the sauce is smooth, add the spinach and artichokes;
- Stir in the parmesan and add the chicken back in and cook it for a few more minutes.
(Full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below)
Pro tip: I highly recommend taking the cream cheese out of the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to starting this recipe so it has time to soften up. Or microwave it for 20-30 seconds!
Other chicken recipes you may like:
- Easy Creamy Lemon Chicken
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Skillet Salsa Chicken
- Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
- Creamy Herb Chicken
Will you give this spinach cream cheese chicken recipe a try?
Questions? Ask me in the comments below.
Spinach Artichoke Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Flour for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 8.8 ounces cream cheese (one block Philly) softened
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can artichoke hearts drained & chopped
- 2 cups (packed) fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise so you have 4 thinner cutlets. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt & pepper, then coat them in flour.
- Add the oil and butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan's hot, add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes/side or until golden. Take the chicken out of the pan and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the chicken broth, cream cheese, and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until the cheese has melted into a smooth sauce.
- Add the chopped artichokes and spinach to the pan. Let the spinach wilt. If you're noticing that the sauce is thickening up too much (it's personal preference how thick you want it), add a splash more chicken broth.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and add the chicken back into the pan. Cook for another few minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Season with salt & pepper as needed. Serve immediately with the sauce spooned over the chicken.
- This recipe goes much smoother if you take the cream cheese out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter to warm up for at least 30 minutes prior to starting cooking.
- You can use frozen spinach in this recipe. Just be sure to thaw it and squeeze out the water first.
- If using smaller chicken breasts, you can leave them intact, but keep in mind they'll need to cook longer.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.