These baked lemon chicken tenders with a quick homemade ranch dipping sauce can be on your table in less than half an hour!
Fried chicken is generally my favorite, but I make an exception when "oven frying" i.e. baking works well. It is January after all, and we are trying to be somewhat healthy here.
This recipe was inspired by my sriracha honey chicken tenders, one of my most popular recipes. That's right. I inspire myself. *gag*. Ok so the technique is very similar (coat the chicken fillets in panko, bake, then dip in a honey-based glaze), but the taste is not. I also changed up the dipping sauce. Personally I prefer these since I'd take lemon over spice any day, but to each their own.
I had to go to like three different stores to find the chicken fillets. I don't know if they're more common in US grocery stores, but I'm always happy when I can find them. They're much more tender than cutting up chicken breasts, but that will work too if you're in a pinch.
These chicken tenders are sweet, but the lemon, vinegar, and the refreshing dipping sauce definitely temper it a bit.
These aren't overwhelmingly sweet at all.
Love this recipe? Try my honey lemon chicken breasts.
These baked chicken tenders are a nice alternative to frying and would work as an easy appetizer or weeknight dinner. I have a feeling that kids and picky eaters would enjoy these as well. There's just something fun about eating with your hands and dipping things!
How 'bout those sriracha honey chicken tenders tho. 🙂
Baked Sticky Lemon Chicken Tenders
Baked panko-breaded chicken tenders with a honey lemon glaze and a tasty dipping sauce!
- 1 pound chicken fillets
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
Honey lemon glaze:
- Juice + zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place rack in top third of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a good non-stick one).
- Prepare two bowls: one with panko crumbs and one with the egg and milk (whisk the egg & milk together).
- Dip each piece of chicken one by one into the liquid bowl (let excess drip off) and then the panko. Place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they're cooked through.
- Meanwhile, add the lemon juice + zest, vinegar, garlic powder, honey, and salt & pepper to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it bubble away for about 5 minutes, until it thickens and reduces.
- Combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once the chicken tenders are cooked, dip them in the honey lemon glaze (tongs or your fingers will work). Serve immediately with the dipping sauce on the side.
- The breading will soften the longer you leave it, so I suggest eating these right away.