This Caprese tortellini pasta salad recipe is easy, fresh, and bursting with summer flavors! Mozzarella balls, balsamic glaze, basil, and plenty of tomatoes make this dish a winner.
This is the perfect summer tortellini salad! Once peak tomato season hits every year (early August through mid-September for those of us in North America), this is a great way to utilize them. And if you have fresh garden basil (I always plant some in the summer!), this salad definitely needs to be on your menu.
This pasta salad is perfect for picnics, potlucks, BBQs, or any summer gathering you can think of (Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc.).
Another cold tortellini salad you may like is my spinach tortellini salad!
This Caprese tortellini salad makes a great side dish or even a meatless main course. If you want to make it a meal and add some more protein, feel free to add in some rotisserie chicken or leftover baked chicken breasts. Easy peasy.
You may also like my Easy Chicken Caprese recipe if you're loving these flavors!
Where can I find balsamic glaze?
I bought mine in the section of the grocery store that has all the vinegars. The brand I used was called Nonna Pia's, but I live in Canada, so keep in mind it may not be available everywhere (I do believe it's sold in the USA as well, though). You can definitely also make your own balsamic reduction if you wish - here's a recipe from The Kitchn.
More pasta salad recipes you may like:
- Balsamic Caprese Pasta Salad
- Easy Greek Pasta Salad
- Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad
- Chicken Ranch Pasta Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- Grilled Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad
Will you make this tortellini pasta salad with balsamic dressing? Questions? Ask me in the comments below or write me a review.
Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad
- 1 (20 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 dry pint little tomatoes (grape, cherry, etc.) halved
- 12 ounces mozzarella balls halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion optional
- Generous handful fresh basil sliced/torn thin
- Balsamic glaze to taste
- Boil a large, salted pot of water for the tortellini. Cook according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, prep your other ingredients.
- Once the tortellini is done, rinse it under cold water, drain it for a few minutes, then add it to a large bowl along with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and some salt & pepper (I am generous with both). Toss.
- Add the tomatoes, mozzarella, onion (if using), and basil to the salad bowl.
- Add the remaining olive oil and balsamic glaze to the salad and toss. I don't list a quantity for the balsamic glaze because it really depends on your personal preferences. Taste and adjust as needed.
- You can chill the salad for 30 minutes prior to serving or dig in right away.
- I prefer buying the mozzarella balls that are packed in oil & herbs because they have more flavor.
- If you're making this salad ahead, I suggest adding the basil, balsamic drizzle, and second tablespoon of olive oil just prior to serving.
- Serves 6-8 as a side dish or 4 as a main course.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. With this recipe especially, the amounts of ingredients like balsamic glaze will vary.