These chicken fajita zoodle bowls are a low-carb way to get your fajita fix! Topped with avocado, Greek yogurt, and fresh cilantro, they make a light and tasty meal.
I've always loved the comforting taste of chicken fajitas. I haven't made them in aaaaages.
When I used to make them, I would load up flour tortillas with a ton of sour cream and guacamole in addition to the chicken, onion, and peppers.
Basically, they went from a somewhat healthy meal to a not-healthy-at-all meal as fast as I could shove them down my cakehole (an image to savor right there).
Anyway, I wanted that same familiar fajita taste but fewer calories, and so that's how these zucchini noodle bowls were born.
Guacamole? Not exactly, but we have avocado and lime juice in here, just no mashing involved.
Sour cream? Replaced by much healthier Greek yogurt. The first time I subbed Greek yogurt for sour cream I felt weird, but I do it all the time now, and honestly it's hard to tell the difference anymore, especially when you have all these delicious flavors going on here.
Delicious low-carb chicken fajitas are possible!
I also used to buy those convenient packets of fajita mix, but it really isn't hard at all to throw a few spices in the pan and make your own fajita seasoning. I had all the spices in my cupboard already (paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and ground cumin). Easy.
Ah I love cast iron cooking. That sizzle you get is like none other. The lovely seared onions, peppers, and chicken are what really make fajitas special.
If you love fajita flavors, try my Chicken Fajita Soup.
These only take about 15 minutes of active cooking time, and when the chicken is perfectly cooked and the peppers are tender-crisp, it's time to toss 'em with the zucchini noodles. I do this fairly quickly so that the zoodles don't get too watery or mushy. Just enough to warm them through.
You then top the chicken fajita bowls with your avocado and Greek yogurt, give it all a good squirt of lime, and you've just made a delicious and healthy dinner that's guaranteed to be a hit.
Hope you love these low-carb chicken bowls!
Questions? Leave me a comment below.
Chicken Fajita Zoodle Bowls
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized on medium setting
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut into strips
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste (leave out if you want it mild)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 avocado sliced
- Greek yogurt or sour cream to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
- Prep your chicken and veggies. Add the chicken to a large ZipLoc bag along with 2 tablespoons of oil, the ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (if using), and some salt & pepper. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a cast iron skillet or grill pan on medium-high heat. Let the pan get very hot (wait a few minutes). Cook onion and peppers for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they're tender-crisp and nicely seared. Take the veggies out of the pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the chicken to the skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the first side for 5 minutes (don't be tempted to move it around the pan - you want a nice sear), and the second side for 3-5 minutes, or until it's cooked through but not overcooked.
- Turn the heat off. Take the chicken out of the pan and slice it into strips.
- Add the peppers and onions, chicken strips, chopped cilantro, and zucchini noodles to the pan and toss (I like to use tongs). The pan will still be really hot, so the zucchini noodles will warm up a bit without going too watery. Season with more salt & pepper if needed.
- Transfer to bowls and top with avocado, Greek yogurt, and lime wedges.