Make this chorizo pasta with mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes tonight! Spicy chorizo, sun-dried tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, and plenty of garlic make this simple pasta dish a winner.
What is chorizo?
Chorizo is a spicy Spanish pork sausage.
You can buy it fresh or already cooked (the packaging will explain if you need to cook it first). Either variety will work for this recipe.
How to make chorizo pasta
Boil a large, salted pot of water for your pasta; make the sauce while pasta cooks.
Sauté the onions for a couple of minutes, then add in the chorizo, followed by the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and cream.
Simmer for 5 minutes and then toss with the pasta once it’s cooked.
An endorsement from my husband probably doesn’t mean much to you, but I will mention it anyway. He said that this chorizo penne is one of the best things I’ve ever made and that he would pay to eat this in a restaurant. OH YEAH!
I’ll take what I can get. 😀
I was going to add white wine into this pasta dish but I ended up forgetting to put it in. That’s ok, because it makes the dish less expensive/more simple and it turned out great anyway.
I would say that if you want to kick this dish up a notch, you can go ahead and add the white wine. 😉 I’d add it in right before you add the cream (let it simmer for a couple of minutes first).
This easy chorizo pasta recipe is super quick and *ahem* restaurant quality, so you should really make it ASAP or you’ll be missing out.
I can almost guarantee that you will love this chorizo penne recipe!
Do you love chorizo as much as I do? What’s your favorite way to prepare it?
I sometimes eat the already cooked variety with a little bread and mustard. In any chorizo dish that I’m cooking, I usually end up sneaking some from the pan while it’s cooking. 😛
Hope you love this creamy chorizo pasta recipe!
Let me know in the comments below if you’ve made it or if you have any questions.
Chorizo Pasta with Mushrooms and Sun-dried Tomatoes
An easy and delicious spicy chorizo pasta recipe with mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes!
- 12 ounces penne (or other pasta)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 10.5 ounces chorizo sausage chopped
- 2 portobello mushrooms chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 dashes Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan grated (optional)
- Olive oil to garnish (optional)
- Parsley chopped, to garnish (optional)
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the pasta. You can make the sauce while the pasta cooks. Cook penne al dente according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat.
- Chop onion and add it to skillet.
- Meanwhile, cut chorizo into desired size pieces. Add it to skillet.
- While onions are chorizo are cooking, chop portobello mushrooms to desired size (I like mine roughly chopped). Add to skillet. Stir.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and Italian seasoning to skillet, followed by the cream. Let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once sauce and penne are cooked, drain penne and add to skillet, mixing it together. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle chopped parsley, and add parmesan cheese and extra salt & pepper if desired. Serve immediately.
- I chop everything as I go along, and so the cooking time totals around 20 minutes. If you chop it all ahead of time, just ensure that the chorizo has a few minutes to cook on its own and that you give the onions and mushrooms enough time to soften.
- You can buy the ready to eat chorizo or the one that needs to be cooked; either will work.