This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This shrimp and citrus salad is easy, fresh, colorful, and healthy! It comes together quickly and makes a perfectly refreshing and delicious side salad or light main course.
The plump shrimp are perfectly complemented by a zingy lime dressing, chives and cilantro to boost the flavor even more, sliced almonds for texture, tender butter leaf lettuce, peppery arugula, and, of course, the winter citrus.
I made this cold shrimp salad recipe during the Christmas break, right after stuffing myself with too many cookies and filling foods. It was a welcome reprieve. I always tend to fancy fresh and colorful foods in January. I suppose it’s no surprise.
A few months of cold weather are thankfully behind us, and I am really missing all the light and healthy foods we tend to enjoy in warmer weather. Bring on the salads, I say! And the summer.
Grapefruit and mandarin oranges are in season right now, so this simple shrimp salad is a great way to take advantage of it.
Cooking the shrimp couldn’t be easier. You just boil them for 3-4 minutes until they turn pink and then dunk them in an ice bath. They’ll be perfectly tender and wonderfully chilled for this salad.
Hope you love this easy shrimp salad recipe!
Let me know in the comments below if you’ve tried it.
Shrimp and Citrus Salad
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp thawed & peeled (tails on optional)
- Ice (for shrimp ice bath)
- 1 ruby red grapefruit peeled & flesh broken into bite-size pieces
- 2 mandarin oranges peeled & segmented (or use a few of the mini mandarins)
- 1 head butter leaf lettuce torn into bite-size pieces
- Large handful of arugula
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, prep your shrimp (ensure they're thawed), and add ice to a large bowl filled with water.
- Place the shrimp in the boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they turn pink (don't overcook). Drain the shrimp and immediately plunge them into the ice bath.
- Meanwhile, prep your other ingredients. I suggest completely removing the grapefruit flesh from the skin, pith, and membrane because it's all fairly tough and bitter. I just use my hands to do this.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together (adjust ingredient quantities as needed according to your taste preferences).
- Drain the shrimp when the salad is ready to go and toss everything together. Add more salt & pepper as needed. Serve immediately.
- You could also add an avocado to this salad if desired.
- Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.