These healthy breakfast egg muffins with spinach and mushrooms are the perfect low-carb make-ahead breakfast recipe! Only 40 calories each.
I'm all for cute little foods that are easy to make, and these low-carb breakfast egg muffins definitely fit the bill.
They're like little omelettes or frittatas that you bake in your muffin tin. I filled them with healthy spinach and mushrooms, seasonings, and a mix of egg and skim milk.
The first time I made this, I ended up using 10 eggs. Yeah, way too many. I decided to cut down on the eggs, change my approach, and add in some milk. The milk definitely gives them a less dense texture, which I think is better. Hockey pucks for breakfast ain't cool. 😉
There are plenty of these muffin tin eggs recipes out there, which shows that people really like them... so I wanted to make my own version. I wanted the recipe prep to be really quick, so there's no sautéeing beforehand. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I wasn't in the most patient mood the day I came up with this recipe (am I ever, though?!).
The chopping is the most work you have to do here, and it's not so bad.
All you do to make these egg muffin cups is crack your eggs in a bowl, whisk them together with the milk, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper, and then stir in the chopped mushrooms and spinach.
You then spoon the mixture into your muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes.
Pro tip: Make sure your muffin tin is well greased prior to adding the egg mixture. These baked egg cups should slide right out. I used Pam cooking spray and it worked great to keep the egg from sticking and hours of dishes.
The mixture won't fill each cavity in the muffin tin completely, which is good since they do expand.
To warm these up, simply put them in the microwave for about 30 seconds. These will keep in the fridge for about 5 days in a tightly sealed container. Healthy breakfasts all week... done! They're great for school, work, or a quick bite on the go. And at only 40 calories each, you can have a few of these protein-packed breakfast egg cups without worrying you're overdoing it.
Questions? Ask me in the comments!
Spinach and Mushroom Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- Dash of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups (packed) spinach chopped finely
- 5 ounces mushrooms (I used white button ones) chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 350F and move the rack to the middle of the oven. Grease a 12-muffin tin thoroughly (I used Pam cooking spray).
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt & pepper. Whisk together thoroughly.
- Chop the spinach and mushrooms, and stir them into the egg mixture.
- Spoon the egg mixture equally into each cavity of the muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- You can eat the egg muffins warm, but make sure you let them cool thoroughly prior to storing them. They will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.