This Tuscan chicken soup with white beans and pasta is healthy, hearty, and full of flavor! Chicken sausage makes this soup extra delicious.
It's time for another winter soup! This one is filled with good stuff (think garlic croutons and shaved parmesan cheese), and you even have the option of not adding the croutons and parmesan if that doesn't fit within your healthy eating plan. It's still very tasty.
We've nearly made it through January! Thank God for that. I don't like January. I am sure some people do, but I'd say they are in the minority. It isn't my least favorite month, however. I just don't like March for various reasons. It's just such a long month and it can still be -25C here when everywhere else is starting to see signs of spring.
Anyway, I'll stop being such a downer. Let's talk about croutons.
All I did to make the garlic croutons was slice up some bread and fry it in a bit of olive oil (about 1 tablespoon). I added some salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, and just before they were ready, 2 cloves of minced garlic. I put the garlic in right at the end so it wouldn't burn. It only takes about 10 minutes to make the croutons, and they are deeeelish. You could of course sub with store-bought croutons or leave them out altogether.
Is everyone over kale? Probably. I still like the stuff in soups. You could alternatively use Swiss chard. Don't worry, I didn't put kale in here because I'm trying too hard. It's a great way to sneak in some extra nutrients, color, and texture.
I would say that pretty much any shape of pasta would work in this Tuscan chicken soup with white beans. I wouldn't put something like spaghetti, but macaroni or shells or bows would all work fine. The starch from the pasta thickens the broth up nicely and makes the soup even better.
The beauty of this Tuscan chicken soup (and most soups really) is that you don't have to go too crazy with measuring the ingredients.
Feel free to approximate where needed, and it'll still taste great.
Other cozy soups you'll enjoy:
- Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Easy Pasta e Fagioli
- Easy Vegetable and Bean Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this cozy Tuscan chicken and bean soup!
Questions about this recipe? Let me know in the comments below.
Tuscan Chicken Soup with White Beans and Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small bulb fennel chopped finely
- 16 ounces chicken sausage* cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 (19 fluid ounce) can white beans drained
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 5 dashes Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup uncooked pasta
- 1 small bunch kale stems discarded, leaves torn
- Small handful fresh basil torn
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese shaved
- Sauté the onions and fennel for 5 minutes on medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Add the sausage and brown for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, white beans, garlic, Italian seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil on high heat, and then reduce to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the pasta, kale (tear it into bite-size pieces), basil, and water. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve with garlic croutons and shaved parmesan cheese if desired.
- *I used 3 sun-dried tomato and basil flavored chicken sausages, weighing around 16 oz. Anything similar would work fine.
- If you're reheating the soup the next day you, may want to add in a bit more water as the pasta tends to soak it up.