This easy vegetable and bean soup comes together quickly and makes a healthy and hearty meal. You can easily customize it with whatever veggies you have on hand.
This healthy vegetable soup recipe came about because I'm not the best at packing work lunches on Thurs/Fri. I'm usually ok the first few days of the week because I either have leftovers from cooking for the blog on the weekend, or I am motivated enough to pack something.
So, I came up with the idea of making a nice and simple vegetable soup every couple of weeks and then freezing it. This soup freezes well, and it's a no-brainer when you need something quick. As long as you don't forget it in your freezer, that is. 😛
I put turnips in here, but it's up to you whether you include them. I don't think I'd include them every time, but I was going for variety when I came up with this recipe.
I don't eat turnips often, so that's how they ended up in here. I'm not sure how much I actually like them, though. Sorry, turnips.
You can in fact include any veggie you desire in this hearty vegetable soup (shocking, I know!). Just use my recipe as a guideline, basically. I'd say the carrots/celery/onion (classic mirepoix) combo is good to keep as a base, and the potatoes add a bit of starch so I'd keep them too, but other than that, include whatever vegetables you have on hand.
I love beans so I would keep them as well, but that's entirely up to you. 🙂
More soups you'll love:
- Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Ham and White Bean Soup
- Easy Black Bean Soup
- Vegetarian Tortellini Soup
- Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- Easy Pasta e Fagioli
- Crockpot Vegetarian Pasta e Fagioli Soup
Hope you love this vegan vegetable soup recipe!
Questions? Talk to me in the comments below.
Easy Vegetable and Bean Soup
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 3 sticks celery chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes diced (peel if you wish)
- 2 small turnips peeled & diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans drained
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or to taste
- 1 small bunch kale torn into small pieces (remove tough stems)
- 1 cup frozen peas optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your carrots, celery, and onion. Add them to a large pot over medium-high heat along with the olive oil. Sauté for 7-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, chop the potatoes and turnips.
- Stir in the garlic and flour and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, potatoes, turnips, beans, and Italian seasoning. Increase the heat to high and bring to a gentle boil. Cover with the lid slightly ajar, and let the soup simmer on medium to medium-low heat (adjust as needed) for about 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Cooking the soup for longer will make it more flavorful, but it isn't necessary, especially if you like the vegetables tender-crisp, for example.
- Add the kale and peas and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so. Season with salt & pepper as needed.
- If you're not a fan of turnips, just use additional potatoes instead. I had some frozen peas to use up, so I added them. Feel free to swap veggies as needed and to use what you have on hand.
- Serves 4-6.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.