This cheddar broccoli chicken bake recipe is a family-friendly meal with a much-needed shortcut on busy weeknights! It's a cozy dinner that involves zero hassle.
For more cheesy goodness, you'll also like my Classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
Why you'll love it
Sometimes it's definitely a situation where the fewer the ingredients, the better. This easy chicken bake is an inexpensive dinner, and I'm guessing you've got most (if not all) of the components in your kitchen already. A can of cheddar soup, frozen broccoli, and you're well on the way to a piping hot chicken and broccoli bake.
This broccoli and chicken casserole certainly may not be the prettiest dish, but the kids will adore it, and that's what's important! Broccoli and cheddar are a classic dream team, much like in this Cheese Sauce for Broccoli recipe.
What you'll need
- Chicken - we're using boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Garlic powder - an easy way to infuse savory flavor
- Italian seasoning - I'm never without a jar of this tasty blend of dried herbs
- Cheddar soup - no shame in using this handy shortcut! Condensed cheddar soup gives this casserole that irresistible creamy, cheesy sauce. I use Campbell's.
- Broccoli - for ease, we're using frozen broccoli. You don't even need to thaw it first.
- Cheddar cheese - the melty, cheesy topping
- Timing may vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces and how hot your oven runs. I highly recommend using an instant read meat thermometer. Chicken is safe to eat and perfectly tender at 165F.
- It's good to grate your own cheddar for taste and texture, and it melts better than the pre-grated kind in a bag.
How to make this cheesy chicken bake
This is an overview with step-by-step photos. Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
Preheat the oven to 375F. Cut the chicken in half lengthwise, add to a 9x13 baking dish, and season with garlic powder, salt & pepper, and Italian seasoning. Pour the condensed soup over top without adding water.
Arrange the frozen broccoli beside the chicken. Cover the casserole very tightly with foil or the lid the baking dish came with, and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and top the chicken evenly with the grated cheddar.
Return it to the oven and bake, uncovered, until melty and the chicken is cooked through. Stir the broccoli in the sauce, season with additional salt & pepper, and enjoy!
Tools for this recipe
Check out Natasha's favorite kitchen essentials, gadgets, and cookware!
- A 9x13 casserole dish is what I used for this recipe.
- This Microplane grater works really well for the cheddar.
- A measuring cup is always handy for the broccoli and cheese.
What to serve with this chicken bake
- A side of my Easy Glazed Carrots and Mashed Potatoes or rice pair well.
- It's pretty hearty and filling, but if you're craving even more cheese, head on over to my Extra Cheesy Garlic Bread.
- A side salad makes a great fresh accompaniment. Try making my popular Homemade Caesar Dressing (10 Minutes), or give my Creamy Balsamic Dressing a go. You don't need a blender for either of 'em.
Leftovers and storage
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Reheat over a low heat in a saucepan or in the microwave until warmed through.
- I don't recommend freezing this one due to the dairy content.
Have any questions about this chicken and broccoli bake, or want to leave a review? Talk to me in the comments below! You can also find me on Instagram.
Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Bake
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cheddar soup
- 2 cups frozen broccoli see note
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375F and move the rack to the top third of the oven.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you have 4 thinner pieces. Place them side-by-side in a 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle them with the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and a bit of salt & pepper.
- Spoon the condensed soup over top of the chicken (don't add water to it).
- Place the frozen broccoli around the chicken.
- Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil (or the oven safe lid the casserole dish came with if it came with one) and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the cheese on top (concentrate it on the chicken). Place it back in the oven, uncovered, for another 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (165F).
- When serving, dish the chicken up first, and then give the broccoli a stir with the sauce as it does release some water while cooking. Season with extra salt & pepper as needed.
- You can use fresh broccoli, but it may end up a bit firmer. I'd cut it small or boil it for 1-2 minutes prior to adding it to the recipe if you prefer it to be softer.
- I don't thaw the broccoli first.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Leave a Reply