This easy cream of mushroom soup chicken bake takes 5 minutes to prep and is topped with a layer of melty mozzarella. Ready in about 30 minutes!
I'll be the first to admit that I usually prefer to make things from scratch, but sometimes there is a place for "dump and bake" type recipes. There are certainly less healthy things that one can eat, and shortcuts can be a lifesaver in the midst of busy family life.
If you want a more fancy from-scratch version of this recipe with a sherry cream sauce, check out my Chicken Gloria recipe.
This the type of recipe that'll please picky eaters. This baked cream of mushroom chicken recipe also happens to be low-carb, so it's suitable if you're on that diet.
Recipe notes & tips:
- Don't like cream of mushroom soup? Try another variety.
- "Cream of" soups can be quite salty, so use a reduced-sodium variety if that's a concern.
- If the chicken breasts are on the small side, leave them whole and use 4 of them.
- Chicken thighs would work if you prefer those.
- Change up the cheeses - anything that melts easily would work, including a Tex-Mex or cheddar blend.
- This recipe is certainly easy to customize... this is a very basic version and I'm sure that if you've made it before, you've probably experimented a bit too. Change up the chicken seasoning, add some lemon juice, throw in some fresh herbs, etc.
- Use an instant read meat thermometer to ensure perfectly cooked chicken every time.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
What to serve with cream of mushroom chicken casserole?
You may also like...
- Ranch Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Mozzarella Chicken Bake
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- Chicken Mushroom Soup
Questions about this easy mushroom chicken bake? Let me know in the comments below!
Cream of Mushroom Soup Chicken Bake
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning optional
- Pepper optional, to taste
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 375F and move the rack to the top third of the oven.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make 4 thinner pieces.
- Place the chicken pieces side-by-side in a casserole dish (9x13 or similar size) and season them with the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and some pepper.
- Spoon/pour the cream of mushroom soup over top and ensure each piece of chicken is coated, then top each piece of chicken with the mozzarella.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (165F). If desired, uncover and broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese (I did this step for the photos).
- You can use 4 smaller chicken breasts, just ensure they're cooked through (use an instant read thermometer). Or use chicken thighs if you prefer (cooking time may vary but they're less likely to overcook and go dry if you cook them for a bit longer than they need).
- Cream of chicken soup can be quite salty, so that is why I don't add any extra salt to this recipe.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.