This chicken bacon ranch casserole recipe has just 6 ingredients for a fuss-free family meal! It's kid approved and irresistibly cheesy.
You might also like my Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta for a similar stovetop recipe or this cozy Chicken Bacon Ranch Soup.
Why you'll love it
It makes me so happy when a reader finds one of my recipes genuinely easy, so I'm very excited to bring you yet another simple casserole recipe! This chicken casserole has penne, a creamy Alfredo and zesty ranch sauce, and it's topped off with mozzarella and crispy bacon. Oh baby.
You'll enjoy how this cheesy chicken casserole has rich, crave-worthy flavors using just a handful of pantry ingredients. It's stuff you likely have in your kitchen already, the kind of ingredients that are always a hit if you've got picky eaters to feed.
What you'll need
- Pasta - penne makes the perfect vessel for all that sauce
- Bacon - I used thick-cut bacon
- Alfredo sauce - for convenience we're using a jar of Alfredo sauce. Make sure to grab one you really enjoy the flavor of!
- Ranch seasoning mix - Hidden Valley is my go-to
- Chicken - rotisserie chicken is a great shortcut for adding protein
- Mozzarella - this good melting cheese makes an irresistible topping
- I use a rotisserie chicken to make this recipe super easy. You can use any pre-cooked (or leftover) cooked chicken like my Easy Baked Chicken Breast.
- To save time, you can cook the bacon ahead of time or use pre-cooked bacon.
Tools for this recipe
Check out Natasha's favorite kitchen essentials, gadgets, and cookware!
- I use kitchen shears to easily cut up the strips of bacon into bite-size pieces.
- A 9x13 baking dish is what I use for this casserole.
How to make this chicken bacon ranch casserole
This is an overview with step-by-step photos. Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
Preheat the oven to 375F. Boil the penne for 1 minute less than the package indicates. In a skillet, fry the bacon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Drain the pasta and add to a casserole dish.
Pour the Alfredo sauce over top along with the packet of ranch seasoning. Using two spoons, toss until the pasta is coated. Add in the chicken and half of the bacon, and toss again.
Spread it into an even layer. Sprinkle on the mozzarella and the rest of the bacon. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Broil if desired, but watch it carefully. Enjoy right away.
Substitutions and variations
- You could swap the penne for another shape of pasta.
- You can make Alfredo Sauce from scratch if you prefer. If using my recipe, it does make a bit less than a typical 15 oz. jar of Alfredo sauce, so you may want to double the batch. My recipe makes approx. 1.5 cups, and a jar is about 2 cups.
- If you prefer, you can make ranch seasoning from scratch. Try this homemade version.
What to serve with this easy chicken casserole
- It's a hearty meal, so all you need is a dinner roll or a slice of Extra Cheesy Garlic Bread to round it all out!
- A salad is also a great pairing. Try mixed greens with my Simple Homemade Honey Mustard Dressing.
Leftovers and storage
- This chicken casserole will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Reheat slowly over low heat in a covered saucepan or intervals in microwave, but be mindful the sauce can separate if reheated on too high of a heat. If you happen to have more Alfredo sauce on hand, add a bit to leftovers if they're dry after a couple days.
- I don't typically recommend freezing creamy sauces or cooked pasta as the texture can change.
If you made this chicken bacon casserole, leave me a comment below! I'd love to hear your thoughts. You can also find me on Instagram.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta I used penne
- 6 strips bacon (I used thick cut) cut into small pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) jar Alfredo sauce
- 1 (1 ounce) packet ranch seasoning
- 2 cups cooked/rotisserie chicken shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded
- Preheat your oven to 375F and move the rack to the top third of the oven.
- Meanwhile, boil a salted pot of water for the pasta. Cook it for 1 minute less than package directions indicate.
- While the pasta is cooking, cut the bacon into small pieces (I use kitchen shears to do this fast), and fry it in a skillet until crispy. Once it's done, transfer it to a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain the pasta once it's cooked and add it to a 9x13 casserole dish. Pour the Alfredo sauce over top and also sprinkle on the ranch seasoning. Toss until evenly coated, then add in the cooked chicken and half the bacon and toss again.
- Smooth it out in an even layer, then top with the mozzarella cheese and the remaining bacon.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Optional: broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese (watch it carefully so it doesn't burn).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
My husband loves this recipe! I used boneless skinless chicken thighs cooked in the Crock-Pot, which made it pretty easy. Really simple to make and we eat the tasty leftovers for lunch for a couple days afterward.
Fantastic!! Thanks for your review, Sarah!
Betsy S says
This dish is an easy meal to make. Quickly became a favorite of my little picky eater.
Thanks great to hear! Thanks for your review! 🙂
This turned out great and was so quick and easy. Everyone loved it. It's a keeper.
Fantastic!! 🙂 Thanks for your review, Valerie!
I made this tonight with a side of roasted broccoli. It was super quick, easy and good. The kids loved the pasta dish (but not their mama's roasted broccoli 😀). Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I'm so happy it was a hit, Jill!! Re: the broccoli, maybe they'll come around eventually haha. Thanks so much for your 5-star review - it's very much appreciated! XO