This chicken fajita quesadilla recipe makes a quick and simple meal that takes minimal effort and is especially easy if you use leftover or rotisserie chicken!
Your favorite fajita fixings are sandwiched in a warm, cheesy pocket of deliciousness. The perfect weeknight meal. This easy chicken quesadilla recipe only takes about 20 minutes to make.
I love leftover chicken recipes. As there's only two people in our house, we always end up with leftover chicken if we roast one or buy a rotisserie chicken. I usually end up putting the leftover chicken into a pita with some dressing and salad greens, but that gets boring!
How to make chicken fajita quesadillas with chicken breasts
If you don't have any leftover chicken, this recipe can easily be made with fresh chicken breasts as well. I would suggest cooking the chicken first (cut chicken breasts lengthwise to get two thinner cutlets and then sear for a couple minutes on both sides in a hot skillet with about 1 tablespoon of oil). You'd then remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest while you cook the veggies.
You'd then slice the chicken and put it back into the pan with the veggies and fajita spices and lime and ensure it's well mixed before you add it to the tortillas. I would say that one chicken breast is plenty for two quesadillas (since you'll have the two thinner cutlets).
Chicken fajita quesadilla recipe tips
I used a smoked cheddar in the quesadilla in the photos. You could use any variety you want, or even mozzarella if you prefer. It's all good.
Depending on your taste for spice, you can always adjust the chipotle chili pepper to your liking as well.
What to serve with chicken quesadillas
I served these with plenty of fresh guacamole and sour cream. An extra squeeze of lime juice is always good as well! 🙂
Will you give these chicken fajita quesadillas a try?
Let me know in the comments!
Chicken Fajita Quesadilla
- 1/2 bell pepper (I used red)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + 1 teaspoon for cooking quesadilla
- 1/2 cup leftover chicken (shredded)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
Serve with (optional):
- Sour cream
- Slice pepper and onion into strips (cut onion lengthwise). Chop cilantro and set aside. Prepare guacamole and sour cream, if needed.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet (I prefer cast iron for this recipe) on medium-high heat.
- Add the pepper and onion to the pan and cook for a few minutes, stirring often, until they're tender-crisp.
- Add in the chicken, spices, salt & pepper, and lime juice. Stir and set aside (off the heat).
- In another skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil on medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, place one tortilla inside. Sprinkle it with half the cheese, the fajita mixture from the other skillet, chopped cilantro, and then the rest of the cheese. Place the second tortilla on top and push it down carefully.
- Flip the quesadilla using a spatula once the bottom tortilla begins to brown (about 2-3 minutes). Cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Both sides should be browned and the cheese should be melted.
- Place quesadilla on a plate and cut into quarters. Serve immediately with sour cream and guacamole.
- If you're not using leftover/rotisserie chicken, see the tips in the blog post on how to make this recipe with chicken breasts.
You may also like my chicken fajita zoodle bowls or my chicken tortilla soup recipe.
Patrick @ Mexican Please says
Yowsa this looks so tasty, thanks for posting it 🙂
You're welcome! 🙂
Christy @ Feasting Not Fasting says
These photos are mouthwateringly gorgeous! Quesadillas never looked so good. 🙂
Thanks so much, Christy!
Kerisha Deans says
I can't wait to test this out!!!
Thanks! Hope you like it 🙂
Mary Dokken says
You are mixing two of my favorite Mexican dishes and I love it!! Sounds fast to make and EASY!!
Thank you, Mary!! Hope you enjoy it 🙂
Quesadilla is one of my favorites. I love easy recipes like this. Thank you for sharing.
You are welcome!
Jessica @ Citrus Blossom Bliss says
Quesadillas are one of my favorite foods - not much beats melted cheese and deliciously seasoned chicken. This recipe looks so amazing with the addition of onions and peppers. Love it!
This looks so good! I definitely will try out this recipe once I'm back from my vacation. :))
Thanks Kate!! Hope your trip is fun!