An easy whole roast chicken flavored with lemon and rosemary. Only five minutes prep time!
Roasting a chicken is much easier than roasting a turkey, and (at least to me) it's more flavorful. You also don't have to cook it for hours on end, and with this recipe you only need to baste it every so often.
It's hard to mess up, which is great really. You're also not stuck with leftovers for the next six months!
I've made this chicken without fresh rosemary before, and it still tastes great, but the rosemary really infuses it with a nice flavor. The chicken doesn't make a lot of juices, but the drippings are enough to drizzle over a few servings of the chicken if you don't make gravy with them.
This recipe has minimal prep time and is a perfect dish for a special occasion or no occasion at all. We like to make this on a Sunday to give us plenty of leftovers for work lunches, exciting people that we are.
Will you try this easy roasted chicken recipe?
Questions? Leave me a comment!
Easy Roast Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 lemon
- Dried herb blend
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Take chicken out of fridge about 30 minutes prior to roasting it.
- Pre-heat oven to 385F and place chicken in a roasting pan with a lid.
- Poke lemon several times with a knife so that it doesn't explode in the oven and the juice is released. Place lemon in the chicken's cavity.
- Cover chicken with dried herb blend (the blend I use is made up of garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, oregano, black pepper, and sea salt). Anything similar will work. If blend doesn't contain salt and pepper, ensure you add it to the chicken separately.
- Garnish chicken with sprigs of fresh rosemary (I put some on top of the chicken, some tucked into the legs, some with the lemon in the cavity, and some under the loose skin by the neck).
- Place chicken in oven. Baste every 20-25 minutes, starting after chicken has been in oven for about 40 minutes.
- Use your discretion to decide when it's done, to be safe you want a thermometer to read 165F. When chicken is close to being ready, let it cook uncovered for approximately 10 minutes so the skin nicely browns.
- The chicken pictured was 4 pounds and took 1 hour 40 minutes to cook.