This smashed chickpea salad sandwich recipe is possibly your new favorite sandwich. It's healthy, satisfying, fresh, and a quick and easy light meal idea with incredible flavor!
Are you a fan of chickpeas? Try my Vegan Sweet Potato Curry.
The ultimate chickpea salad sandwich
Sometimes I just crave a big, healthy sandwich that's overflowing with so much goodness that I can barely hold it in my hands. In my opinion, if a sandwich is so packed that it's falling apart, you know it's good. And that craving isn't satisfied until I make this chickpea sandwich.
This vegetarian sandwich recipe is so simple to make with pantry ingredients and has a delicious flavor payoff. You take a homemade chickpea salad, dress it up with a bright and lemony homemade mayo-mustard dressing with warm spices, add in creamy avocado, and then assemble it between slices of bread with fresh toppings. It's the best!
Ingredients you'll need
- Chickpeas - canned chickpeas are elevated in this simple recipe. They're filling and have lots of protein.
- Lemon juice - for brightness. Add a little more if you like a more tangy quality!
- Onion - red onion is the best variety for salads and sandwiches since it's not as sharp
- Cumin & smoked paprika - this duo brings so much incredible flavor! If you're wondering, they're not spicy.
- Mayo - we're using a little bit to keep the salad moist and a little creamy. This is a vegetarian sandwich, but if you need to make it vegan, use vegan mayo no problem.
- Mustard - I love a grainy mustard for added texture and a zingy taste
- Avocado - for extra creaminess
- Bread - honestly, whatever you normally eat is great. I chose a sliced whole grain, but this would work on everything from a croissant to brioche. You can toast the bread first if you like added crunch.
How to make it
This is an overview, and full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Add the chickpeas to a medium bowl, and mash them coarsely. You can use a fork or even a potato masher.
- Then add in the lemon juice, red onion, cumin, smoked paprika, salt & pepper, mayo, grainy mustard, and avocado to the bowl. Mix it together gently.
- Toast your bread if you wish. Add the chickpea salad and additional toppings like sliced tomato, radish sprouts, lettuce, and arugula to each sandwich. Serve immediately!
What can I top it with?
- I like tomato, radish sprouts, arugula, and butter lettuce.
- Of course, you can go to town with your favorite toppings that you usually have for a fresh sandwich. Use whatever veggies make your tastebuds happy! Cucumber, fresh herbs, anything. Dill pickles? Why not.
- I do love the contrast the radish sprouts give, but if you can't find them, alfalfa sprouts or watercress are excellent too.
Leftovers and storage
- I do prefer this chickpea salad when it's freshly made, but it can work for leftovers if you make the chickpea mixture without the avocado. It'll last 3-4 days in the fridge just fine that way in an airtight container.
- I recommend adding fresh sliced avocado to the sandwich when you're ready to eat if you go that route for the creamy aspect.
- The chickpeas may absorb some of the moisture over time, so you may need to revive it with a bit of mayo.
What to serve with this recipe
- Love the soup and salad combo? Same. Pair it with this Simple Cream of Broccoli Soup or this Creamy Sweet Potato Soup!
- If you're more into sandwich and salad, make this Super Simple Parmesan Arugula Salad and call it a day.
More quick lunch recipes
I hope you'll try this vegetarian chickpea sandwich! Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions. You can also find me on Instagram to show me your creations.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can chickpeas drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red onion chopped finely
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 heaped tablespoon mayo or to taste
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard (such as Maille Old Style mustard)
- 1 avocado chopped
- 4 slices bread toast if you wish
- Sliced tomato to taste
- Radish sprouts to taste
- Arugula to taste
- Lettuce (I used butter leaf) to taste
- Add the chickpeas to a medium bowl and coarsely mash them (I actually used my potato masher to do this).
- Add the lemon juice, red onion, cumin, smoked paprika, salt & pepper, mayo, grainy mustard, and avocado to the bowl. Mix it together gently.
- Toast your bread if you wish. Add the chickpea salad, tomato, radish sprouts, lettuce, and arugula to each sandwich. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
This is really good! I added a bit of sugar and I think that helped it. Next time I make it I may try adding hard boiled egg!
Thanks for the recipe, I never would’ve thought to put chickpeas on a sandwich but I won’t ever stop now!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! 😀 Appreciate your review, Marie.
I made this and love it. What is the nutrition value on this?
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I added nutritional info for you, but I am not sure how useful it'll be. I didn't include it for any toppings (like tomato, lettuce, etc.) since that's so subjective. I didn't include bread either since that varies. And depending on the size of the chickpea can and avocado, it'll also vary. But at least it gives you a ballpark figure I guess.
This looks amazing!
If I wanted to make extra salad to use on subsequent days, how long do you think it would last for? I know avocado goes bad pretty quickly, but maybe if I left it out of the salad and just added it in day by day?
Thank you! Hmmm I think it may dry out a little bit, so I'd probably only keep it for like 3-4 days max. Yes, I think adding in the avocado day by day would work best. 🙂
Caroline | Unsweetened Caroline says
These photos are stunning! I love the look of this loaded chickpea sandwich and I know what I'm making for lunches next week. 🙂
Thanks so much, Caroline!! Hope you like it! 🙂
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
What a fabulous sandwich Natasha! I've got to try it!
Thanks so much!! 🙂
I tried this recipe today and it was brilliant ! Thank you so much for posting.
I’m so happy to hear that!! ❤️
Traci | Vanilla And Bean says
I'm completely smitten! This sandwich is so dreamy and those sprouts are gorgeous! Delicious!
Thanks so much, Traci!! 🙂
I am definitely going to be making this. Adding ingredients to my shopping list, now! Excited for that first bite. Non nom!!
Natasha's Sister says
Omg I love sandwiches. How could you not have made this for me yet? Bring me one to my office now.
Megan Marlowe says
this looks absolutely delicious and I wish I had everything to make it today! I'm putting everything on my shopping list and going ASAP tomorrow!
Thanks, Meghan!! I hope you enjoy the sandwich! 🙂
lindsay Cotter says
radish sprouts? Chickpea? Smoked paprika. Be still my heart. LOVE THIS SANDWICH girl!
Thanks so much!!!