This smashed chickpea salad sandwich recipe is possibly your new favorite sandwich. It's healthy, satisfying, fresh, and a quick and easy light meal idea with incredible flavor!
Are you a fan of chickpeas? Try my Vegan Sweet Potato Curry.
The ultimate chickpea salad sandwich
Sometimes I just crave a big, healthy sandwich that's overflowing with so much goodness that I can barely hold it in my hands. In my opinion, if a sandwich is so packed that it's falling apart, you know it's good. And that craving isn't satisfied until I make this chickpea sandwich.
This vegetarian sandwich recipe is so simple to make with pantry ingredients and has an insanely delicious flavor payoff. You take a homemade chickpea salad, dress it up with a bright and lemony homemade mayo-mustard dressing with warm spices, add in creamy avocado, and then assemble it between slices of bread with fresh toppings. YOU GUYS. It's the best!
Ingredients you'll need
- Chickpeas - canned chickpeas are elevated in this simple recipe. They're filling and have lots of protein.
- Lemon juice - for brightness. Add a little more if you like a more tangy quality!
- Onion - red onion is the best variety for salads and sandwiches since it's not as sharp
- Cumin & smoked paprika - this duo brings so much incredible flavor! If you're wondering, they're not spicy.
- Mayo - we're using a little bit to keep the salad moist and a little creamy. This is a vegetarian sandwich, but if you need to make it vegan, use vegan mayo no problem.
- Mustard - I love a grainy mustard for added texture and a zingy taste
- Avocado - for extra creaminess
- Bread - honestly, whatever you normally eat is great. I chose a sliced whole grain, but this would work on everything from a croissant to brioche! You can toast the bread first if you like added crunch.
How to make it
- Add the chickpeas to a medium bowl, and mash them coarsely. You can use a fork or even a potato masher.
- Then add in the lemon juice, red onion, cumin, smoked paprika, salt & pepper, mayo, grainy mustard, and avocado to the bowl. Mix it together gently.
- Toast your bread if you wish. Add the chickpea salad and additional toppings like sliced tomato, radish sprouts, lettuce, and arugula to each sandwich. Serve immediately!
What can I top it with?
- I like tomato, radish sprouts, arugula, and butter leaf lettuce.
- Of course, you can go to town with your favorite toppings that you usually have for a fresh sandwich. Use whatever veggies make your tastebuds happy! Cucumber, fresh herbs, anything. Dill pickles? Why not.
- I do love the contrast the radish sprouts give, but if you can't find them, alfalfa sprouts or watercress are excellent too.
Leftovers and storage
- I do prefer this chickpea salad when it's freshly made, but it can work for leftovers if you make the chickpea mixture without the avocado. It'll last 3-4 days in the fridge just fine that way in an airtight container.
- I recommend adding fresh sliced avocado to the sandwich when you're ready if you go that route for the creamy aspect.
- The chickpeas may absorb some of the moisture over time, so you may need to revive it with a bit of mayo.
I hope you'll try this vegetarian chickpea sandwich! Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can chickpeas drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red onion chopped finely
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 heaped tablespoon mayo or to taste
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard (such as Maille Old Style mustard)
- 1 avocado chopped
- 4 slices bread toast if you wish
- Sliced tomato to taste
- Radish sprouts to taste
- Arugula to taste
- Lettuce (I used butter leaf) to taste
- Add the chickpeas to a medium bowl and coarsely mash them (I actually used my potato masher to do this).
- Add the lemon juice, red onion, cumin, smoked paprika, salt & pepper, mayo, grainy mustard, and avocado to the bowl. Mix it together gently.
- Toast your bread if you wish. Add the chickpea salad, tomato, radish sprouts, lettuce, and arugula to each sandwich. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.