This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This creamy pesto gnocchi recipe makes a fantastic side dish or meatless main course. It’s super easy (made in one pan) and takes only 20 minutes from start to finish!
The pesto parmesan sauce in this recipe is super simple and really good. I also went ahead and added some extra garlic. Naturally. And a splash of white wine! If this recipe is looking somewhat familiar, I also have a Creamy Pesto Shrimp Gnocchi recipe, but I figured that having it as a standalone recipe (without the shrimp) would be a good idea too.
For all my one pan gnocchi recipes I use shelf-stable gnocchi (find it in the pasta aisle). The refrigerated kind works too. As it cooks, it releases starch that thickens up the sauce. I don’t pre-cook it prior to adding it to the sauce. Super easy and fewer dishes to wash! I don’t recommend using homemade gnocchi because the one pan method can make it fall apart, so I would make the sauce separately if you want to go that route.
Recipe notes & tips:
- I’m big on grating my own parmesan cheese… it just tastes and melts better. I used this cheese grater (I have a slightly older model) for this recipe. Microplane graters work great too!
- I used DeLallo brand pesto (I had some left over from a shipment they sent me for a sponsored post, but this post is not sponsored… I just love their products). You could also use homemade pesto if you prefer or whatever your favorite brand is!
- I’m not particularly loyal to any brand of gnocchi. I just buy whatever my grocery store happens to have. I’ve tried a few brands over the years (I’m in Canada and there isn’t tons of gnocchi selection here) and they’re pretty similar to each other.
More delicious gnocchi side dishes:
Questions about this easy pesto gnocchi recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Creamy Pesto Gnocchi
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound uncooked potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the pesto, cream, wine, and garlic to a deep skillet over medium heat.
- Once the sauce starts to gently bubble, stir in the gnocchi. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and give it a good stir. Continue to cook it for a couple more minutes, stirring often (the sauce will thicken quickly as the gnocchi releases more starch).
- Once the sauce is thickened to your liking, stir in the parmesan cheese. If the sauce gets too thick at any point, add in another splash of wine or cream. Season with extra salt & pepper as needed and serve immediately.
- Serves 4-6 as a side dish.
- The gnocchi cooks right in the sauce. No need to pre-boil it! The starch released helps thicken the sauce up quickly.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.