This creamy sherry chicken recipe has tender pan-fried chicken nestled in a mushroom and sherry cream sauce. It's easy, fast, and elegant! Ready in about 30 minutes.
This recipe is perfect for date night or when you want to make something special for company but don't really feel like spending hours in the kitchen.
Love sherry? Try my Chicken Gloria recipe for a cheesy take on this dish.
Making this dish is simple! We cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so they cook through faster and remain tender, then sprinkle them with salt & pepper, garlic powder, and coat 'em in flour. Pan-fry them until they're just about cooked through, then take them out of the skillet and sauté the mushrooms and onions and make the sherry sauce. Finish cooking the chicken in the sauce (it'll thicken up a bit), and that's it!
Can I sub the sherry?
Sherry gives this recipe its signature flavor, but you could try marsala or madeira wine. White wine would work too, but then you may as well make my Creamy White Wine Mushroom Chicken, which is very similar.
Recipe notes & tips:
- You may make this without the flour if need be, but I'd be sure to get your pan hot enough that the chicken doesn't stick, and you may want to let the sauce reduce for a bit prior to adding the chicken back to the pan for the last step.
- Use a dry sherry for this savory recipe. Sherry is a fortified wine. I don't recommend using "cooking" wines if you can avoid it... they're never as good and can also be quite salty.
- As always, sub ingredients at your own discretion. If subbing the cream for something lower fat, you may yield a thinner sauce.
What to serve with chicken in sherry cream sauce?
You may also like...
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
- Creamy Bacon Chicken
- Easy Creamy Lemon Chicken
Will you make this creamy sherry chicken recipe? Questions? Let me know in the comments below!
Creamy Sherry Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Flour for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you have four thinner cutlets. Sprinkle them with the garlic powder, season them generously with salt & pepper on both sides, and then coat each piece in flour.
- Add the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat up for a few minutes.
- Sear the chicken for about 4-5 minutes/side or until golden. Transfer it to a plate.
- To the skillet, add in the remaining butter, mushrooms, onions, and Italian seasoning. Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the water has been released and then cooked off.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add in the sherry and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the sauce bubble for until the liquid is reduced by half (about 2-3 min).
- Stir in the cream, then add the chicken back to the pan. Let it cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has reduced/thickened up a bit. Season with extra salt & pepper if needed.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.