This skillet creamy white wine mushroom chicken recipe has a buttery white wine cream sauce that's simple to make and delicious!
This recipe is sort of a mashup of my Creamy Mushroom Chicken and my Creamy Chicken in White Wine Sauce. It seems that one can never have too many chicken recipes, so I figured I'd combine the two concepts since people love the flavors. 🙂
This is one of those recipes that's great for busy weeknights (my specialty) but elegant enough for a dinner party.
It's straightforward to make. Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you've got 4 thinner cutlets, sprinkle the chicken with salt & pepper and garlic powder, then coat each piece in flour. Sear it in your skillet for about 5 minutes/side, and then take it out of the pan. You then make the sauce (the lovely brown bits from cooking the chicken add so much flavor), add the chicken back in, and cook it for a few more minutes. Easy peasy and fast!
Recipe notes & tips:
- Like many of my other chicken recipes, I use the technique of cutting the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so the chicken cooks through faster and remains tender without overcooking on the outside.
- I recommend using an instant read meat thermometer - it'll tell you whether chicken is safe to eat or not (it's ready at 165F). Undercooked or overcooked chicken can be a thing of the past!
- I don't have a particular wine brand preference, but I typically cook with sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio (any dry white wine will be fine for this recipe).
- I know I will get this question, so I will answer it here: if for some reason you need to sub the white wine, use the equivalent amount of chicken broth + 1/2 teaspoon (or more) Dijon mustard.
- I don't recommend subbing the cream with anything else (like milk or half-and-half). The sauce won't thicken up as well and may separate/curdle.
- You can use a different variety of mushrooms (e.g. white or portobello) if you wish.
Other tasty chicken recipe to try:
- Creamy Balsamic Spinach Bacon Mushroom Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Chicken Florentine
- Mozzarella Mushroom White Wine Chicken
Will you give this creamy white wine mushroom chicken recipe a try? Questions? Made it? Leave me a comment/review below!
Creamy White Wine Mushroom Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Flour for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise so you have four thinner pieces. Sprinkle them with the garlic powder, season them generously with salt & pepper on both sides, and then coat each piece in flour.
- Add the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat up for a few minutes.
- Sear the chicken for about 4-5 minutes/side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- To the skillet, add in the remaining butter, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning. Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the water has been released and then cooked off.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add in the white wine and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the sauce bubble for about 2-3 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in the cream, then add the chicken back to the pan. Let it cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has reduced/thickened up a bit. Season the sauce with extra salt & pepper as needed.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.