This creamy white wine mushroom chicken recipe has a buttery white wine cream sauce that's simple to make and totally delicious! It's an impressive 30-minute dish.
Try my Easy Chicken Francese next for another restaurant-worthy meal at home.
Why you'll love it
This recipe is sort of a hybrid of my Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Creamy Chicken in White Wine Sauce. I can't believe it's taken me this long to combine the two concepts since people love both flavors. Pair with some everyday pantry ingredients, and you've got a winning skillet chicken dinner that's straightforward to make.
Since my specialty is making recipes that are great for busy weeknights, this white wine chicken is no exception, and it's ready in just half an hour. It's also elegant enough for something more special like a dinner party. This is one of those meals where everyone will think you put in way more effort than is actually needed!
What you'll need
- Chicken - we're using two boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into four thinner cutlets. I use this technique so it cooks through faster and remains tender without overcooking on the outside.
- Garlic powder - along with salt & pepper, it infuses savory flavor right on the cutlets
- Flour - for dredging and getting that pan-seared exterior
- Olive oil and butter - for pan frying and making the base of the sauce
- Mushrooms - I chose cremini for this one. They're also known as baby bellas.
- Italian seasoning - it's a well-balanced blend of dried herbs that adds a pop of herby flavor
- Garlic - add even more than suggested if you're a garlic lover. I recommend using a garlic press to mince the cloves to save time and energy.
- White wine - grab a bottle of dry white wine that you enjoy drinking (not cooking wine) since it plays a starring role. Sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio, or chardonnay would all work great.
- Heavy cream - for that luscious quality in the sauce
- I recommend using an instant read meat thermometer here. It'll tell you whether chicken is safe to eat or not. It's ready at 165F. Undercooked or overcooked chicken can be a thing of the past with this inexpensive kitchen tool!
How to make creamy mushroom white wine chicken
This is an overview, and full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Cut the chicken into four cutlets, sprinkle on both sides with salt & pepper and garlic powder, then coat each piece in flour. Sear the chicken in your skillet in the oil and some of the butter until golden, and then transfer to a plate.
- To the skillet, add the remaining butter along with the mushrooms and Italian seasoning. Sauté until the water has cooked off, then stir in the garlic.
- Add in the wine, and scrape up the tasty brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let it reduce, then stir in the cream and add the chicken back in, and cook it for a few more minutes. Season with extra salt & pepper if desired, and enjoy.
Substitutions and variations
- If for some reason you need to sub the white wine, use the equivalent amount of chicken broth plus 1/2 teaspoon (or more) Dijon mustard.
- I don't recommend subbing the cream with anything else like milk or half-and-half. The sauce won't thicken up as well and may separate/curdle.
- You can use a different variety of mushrooms if you wish, e.g. white or portobello.
What to serve with this creamy mushroom chicken
- The sauce is excellent over a big portion of Garlic Mashed Potatoes, rice, or even pasta. Try my Quick and Easy Garlic Butter Noodles.
- For veggie sides, I suggest Maple Roasted Carrots or Simple Sautéed Leeks for two easy options.
- It's great with a salad as well. My really simple Parmesan Arugula Salad is always a good idea.
Leftovers and storage
- This creamy white wine chicken is best served fresh, but you can keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
- For best results, reheat in a saucepan over a very low heat so the sauce doesn't separate. Make sure it's warmed all the way through.
- Freezing this one isn't recommended due to the dairy content.
Will you give this creamy white wine mushroom chicken recipe a try? Questions? Leave me a comment or review below! You can also find me on Instagram.
Creamy White Wine Mushroom Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Flour for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise so you have four thinner pieces. Sprinkle them with the garlic powder, season them generously with salt & pepper on both sides, and then coat each piece in flour.
- Add the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat up for a few minutes.
- Sear the chicken for about 4-5 minutes/side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- To the skillet, add in the remaining butter, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning. Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the water has been released and then cooked off.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add in the white wine and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the sauce bubble for about 2-3 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in the cream, then add the chicken back to the pan. Let it cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has reduced/thickened up a bit. Season the sauce with extra salt & pepper as needed.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.