Melty mozzarella and parmesan cheeses make this mushroom white wine chicken extra delicious! It's ready in just over half an hour, so it's perfect for busy weeknights or easy entertaining.
Chicken with white wine and mushrooms is a great combo, but I decided to take it up a notch with this recipe. Behold this cheesy delight. This recipe reminds me a bit of French onion soup... like you get the broth and then the melted cheese. Different ingredients but you get the idea. Hopefully. 😛 The lighter (but fabulously buttery) sauce is the perfect complement to the cheeses.
This is a mushroom chicken bake of sorts... we start it in the skillet and then finish it in the oven.
Recipe notes & tips:
- I don't have a brand preference for the white wine, but for cooking I tend to buy sauv blanc or pinot grigio.
- Feel free to swap the cremini mushrooms for another kind (e.g. baby bellas or white mushrooms).
- I highly recommend getting an oven-proof skillet if you don't own one already. It's so handy to take it from the stove to the oven without having to transfer the food to a baking dish. This is the skillet pictured in the photos.
- To make this (and many other recipes) hassle-free, I love using kitchen tongs to quickly and easily flip the chicken, and I love my splatter guard to make clean-up easier.
- I prefer to grate my own parmesan cheese - I always keep a block in my fridge. The flavor and texture is just so much better than the pre-grated stuff.
- If you're ever unsure about whether chicken is cooked, always use an instant read meat thermometer to ensure it's 165F in the deepest part.
What to serve with this recipe?
Rice, mashed potatoes, or pasta. Veggies (try my Easy Roasted Green Beans) or a salad if you're looking for something lighter works too.
Other tasty chicken recipes you'll love:
- Chicken Madeira
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- Creamy Chicken in White Wine Sauce
- Cheesy Mozzarella Chicken Bake
- Tomato Spinach White Wine Chicken
- Chicken Gloria
Made this recipe? Have questions? Let me know in the comments below!
Mozzarella Mushroom White Wine Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Flour for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 dash Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped finely
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise to make 4 thinner pieces. Sprinkle the chicken with garlic powder and salt & pepper on both sides, then coat the chicken in flour.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, cook the chicken for 4-5 min/side until golden. Transfer chicken to a plate. I like to chop the mushrooms while the chicken cooks, but feel free to prep ingredients beforehand.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet and once it melts, add in the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms release their water and then get a nice sear (about 5-6 minutes).
- Stir in the wine, chicken broth, and Italian seasoning. Let the sauce bubble for about a minute, and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and spoon the sauce and some mushrooms over top. Take the pan off the heat.
- Top the chicken with the parmesan, followed by the mozzarella. I like to sprinkle the majority of the cheese over the chicken, but also sprinkle some on the sauce if you wish.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 5 minutes, then turn the broiler on and cook for an additional few minutes or until the cheese has browned a bit. If you don't want to broil, I recommend leaving it in the oven for 7 minutes or so.
- Take the pan out of the oven and sprinkle the fresh parsley on top. Serve immediately (spoon the juices over rice or mashed potatoes or whatever you're serving it with).
- If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, transfer the skillet contents to a baking dish for step 7.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Deborah Gorman says
I have made this several times for two. Always delicious, followed recipe exactly. I served it, tonight, with rice pilaf and peas. Nice week night dinner.
I'm thrilled to hear that, Deborah!
Followed the directions exactly but next time I will double the sauce ingredients and try adding spinach. Delicious. I will definitely be making again. Thanks for sharing.
You're very welcome, Linda!
I am making for Christmas. Because my oven will be used do you think this can made in slow cooker that has stove top & baked feature. This is one of our very favorite meals.
Hi Faith! I've only tested it as written - sorry. 🙁 You'd have to experiment a bit, but I don't feel comfortable guessing without testing.
Mike Collins says
I cut pockets it the breast and stuff cheeses, (Gruyere and mozzarella) and some mushrooms and thyme then sew the pocket. I sear my chicken in clarified butter for about 2 to 4 minutes aside depending on thickness. I try to attain 155 internal temp and then set on plate and they'll raise to about 160 and then 170 once finished. Very tender and juicy.
Your's is a lot less work intensive and turned out excellent. Thank you for posting. I did toast the cheese under the broiler.
How can I attach a picture of the finished product?
So glad you enjoyed it, Mike! You can't attach a photo on here, but if you post an Instagram story and tag me in it (and your account isn't private), I'll see it and repost. 🙂
Melissa Unglaub says
Thanks for making an easy chicken and mushroom with white wine dish NOT using cream of mushroom soup! Too many recipes that calls for it, when Googling, since it's easy. I love easy, but we have to stay away from cream of any sort in this house.
I followed pretty closely with a few modifications. For the spices, I used Montreal Chicken Seasoning by McCormick (we love it on chicken when grilling).
The butter, I only used in some bowtie pasta to go with the chicken, then spooned the white wine, seasoning broth (what was left after cooking) on top of the pasta.
I just used more olive oil with the chicken and mushrooms (a household member doesn't like the smell of sauteed butter otherwise I would have followed the instructions).
First time we used the broiler in the newer oven, and it was worth it! Very browned melty cheese!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! 😀
Mike baker says
We have made this multiple times since we found this recipe. Always fantastic! We make more than we can eat in one sitting so we can seal and freeze the leftovers. Then just throw the frozen packet in boiling water for 15 mins and it’s just as good as fresh! Super easy quick after work dinner.
Miranda @ Salt & Lavender says
Thrilled to hear it, Mike! Thanks for that freezer tip. 🙂
Becky Brandel says
Tastes like it was made in a gourmet restaurant!
Thank you!! Glad you enjoyed it. 😀
Excellent!! As others stated, I doubled the sauce and mushrooms. Served over fresh mashed potatoes!
So glad it was a hit!!
Tripled the sauce. Added spinach. Used thighs (8)
Next time will omit wine and add a touch of mustard.
Added a touch of heavy cream
Served with mashed potatoes
This is definitely a restaurant quality recipe. It went together easily and I was amazed at the flavor of the sauce. A real keeper!
Thank you so much!
Excellent. This is wonderful. I only used one chicken breast for the two of us but used all the cheese and liquids for one. My chicken pieces were equal size. I sautéed some fresh spinach ( with a shake of crushed red pepper) and served it with angel hair pasta, spinach and chicken and sauce. Wow
Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it!
BrandiAnn Pagano says
This was amazing. The flavor savory, and it won praise from my husband...a meat and potatoes kind of guy. It's definitely going to be one of our favorites.
That's great to hear, BrandiAnn! 😀
I don't eat mushrooms often, BUT this meal is literally everything! It is so good!!! I let my wine and broth cook down for 3 minutes and added onions as well. I also seasoned my chicken with more ingredients. This is def a must make for families! My son said this was restaurant quality!!!!
Yay!! I'm so happy it's a hit! Thank you!
Hi there! I don't use wine for cooking, is there a substitute for the white winr or should I replace it with more chicken stock? Thanx!
I'd replace it with chicken stock/broth. Perhaps add in a little Dijon mustard too (up to about a teaspoon or so) - that's a trick I use to mimic the taste of white wine.
I have made this twice. It is delicious. I made it exactly as recipe was written.
Fantastic!! 🙂 Thanks for your review, Jill!
Can you use chicken boneless skinless thighs?
Sure! I would probably sear them for a tad longer.
Amazing! I made it exactly to the recipe with one exception. I added in sautéed spinach with the mushrooms! So very tasty!! Will definitely make again and again! Thanks for sharing!!! ❤️
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! You're welcome!
Christine M. Psychic Medium says
Truly amaZING. Simple & Delicious ..... Make enough for leftovers (or midnight snack).
It's almost ridiculous how freaking good this is.
Aww that's so nice to hear! Thanks for your review! 😀
Jan Gaiser says
The cheeses and broth keep the chicken moist and tender. Beautiful presentation, and so delicious! Tripled the recipe for a large family dinner. Everyone loved it, and thought I went to a lot of effort!
Miranda @ Salt & Lavender says
We're so happy everyone enjoyed it, Jan! 🙂
I never leave reviews but I made this tonight and it was possibly one of my favorite meals! I used unsalted chicken broth and it turned out just fine! So amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe!!
That's great to hear! Appreciate your review, Cheree! 🙂
Hi - I really enjoy your site. Love the different recipes along with suggestions and tips. Made this with lightly breaded cooked chicken breasts that had already been prepared for another recipe and it came out delicious. I seared the already cooked chicken for just a minute to get the brown bits and added some onions (just 1 small onion) and it was delicious. Other than that I followed the recipe for the sauce, mushroom and cheeses. Served with a side of sautéed spinach. Delish!
Aww thanks so much!! I'm so glad you enjoy the tips too. 🙂 Thanks for your review!!
Ann Marie Bretz says
My husband and I absolutely loved this recipe. I doubled the wine and chicken broth because he loves sauce! I used Purdue skinny chicken breasts, I did the mushrooms as you suggested. They were wonderful. Looking forward to making it again. Thank you! Will definitely share this recipe!
Fantastic!! I'm so glad you guys enjoyed it, Ann Marie! 🙂 Thanks for your review.
Just made this tonight and OMG was delicious!!! Definitely making again and definitely a keeper! I doubled all ingredients to make for 8 servings (so 4 breasts, 8 servings) and worked perfectly. I’ve already passed this recipe onto friends and family! Easy to make, not time consuming and the aromas and flavour oh my!
Miranda @ Salt & Lavender says
Aw thanks for passing the recipe on! So pleased you enjoyed it 🙂
Made this tonight 12/01/2022 and really enjoyed it was easy to follow will definitely make again
Fantastic! 🙂 Thanks for letting me know, Bev!
Thank you for the recipe! Super simple and tastes amazing!
You're very welcome, Ranee! 🙂
I have a lot of left over chicken from rotisserie chicken that I pulled off the bone. Could I adapt this recipe using cooked chicken. Thanks looking forward to answer.
Hi! I think you probably could... perhaps skip that initial searing step so you don't overcook the already cooked chicken (add it in step 6).
Sam gottler says
I’m allergic to chicken how would pork chops be?
I think that would be delicious! You may need to adjust cooking time a bit, but you could definitely give it a try.
wonderful. My husband said to put two stars next to it in my recipe book. He said it made his heart smile and it tasted like it should have come from a restaurant. Thank you for this awesome recipe. Cant wait to cook more of your recipes.
Aww I love that!! 🙂 Thank you for letting me know, Sherri!
Quick no fuss dinner that the whole family loved with minimal ingredients. Will revisit this one again and again!
Wonderful!! Thanks so much!
This was super easy and very tasty! I served it with roasted brussel sprouts and red skin mashed potatoes. My husband raved about dinner! I will be making this again very soon!
Wonderful!! So happy to hear that, Kelly!
Okay, I’m completely in love with your site. I found S&L 2 weeks ago and I haven’t stopped making meals off your recipes. All of which have been fantastic. This recipe is no exception. Love that you include tips or suggestions, ideas to serve alongside. Actually, love everything about it! Thank you and keep them coming, I’ll keep cooking. Gaining confidence with every meal.
Aww your comment made my day! 🙂 So glad you found me!
This was delicious! I paired it with some brown rice and peas. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I have bookmarked this recipe!
You're welcome!! I'm so glad you liked the recipe and found the instructions helpful 🙂
Jessica C says
Another delicious recipe!Personally, I like a lot of extra juice so next time I may double (,or triple) the wine and chicken broth portion. Thanks for sharing!
You're very welcome! So happy you liked it! 🙂
We made this for dinner tonight. It was fast and easy. And DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing.
Wonderful! You're very welcome. 🙂
So happy I stumbled onto your blog! Just shared my “find” with my daughter, family of four.
I’m retired, my generation was excited about casseroles! But these recipes don’t create stuck together blocks of food, and at the same time gives us restaurant quality meals!!
Thank you so much🥰
Aww that's great to hear! I'm so glad that you found me, Lana! 🙂
Made this tonight and it was really good. Will definitely make again.
That's great!! Thanks for commenting, Tracy!
I made this last night for my family. My 7 year old said it was her favorite dish I've made in a long time. It was super delicious and so easy. I would recommend you mix the pasta in with the chicken, sauce to pick up the flavor for the noodles. I think this would also be delicious with mashed potatoes. Either way, it's a keep in my recipe book for my family. Thank you!
I'm so happy it was a hit, Karene!! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. 🙂
Louise Short says
This is just delicious. The mushrooms are so tasty. My husband loved as well as I and I want to thank you for all your wonderful recipes because I cooked many and they are all winners
I'm so happy to hear you two enjoyed it, Louise!! And I'm so happy you like my recipes in general. XO 🙂
Jennifer Best says
I just made this fabulous recipe. The combination of flavours exceeded my expectations. Absolutely delicious! Love all your recipes and look forward to trying more. The instructions are easy to follow. Thank you for the wonderful meal inspiration!
Thank you so much!! I’m so glad you liked it! ♥️🤗