Creamy tortellini with spinach and mushrooms is a super easy and delicious meatless one pan meal! Total comfort food.
Try my Creamy Sausage and Peppers Pasta next for another outrageously comforting meal.
This recipe is based on my Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Gnocchi. It uses similar ingredients and the same cooking method but replaces the gnocchi with tortellini. That recipe has been popular for a few years now, and the mushroom-spinach combo will always remain popular, I think.
My One Pan Tortellini with Sausage Recipe has also been a reader favorite, so I really wanted this to be a one pan meal as well. The tortellini cooks right in the sauce, so you don't have to mess about with boiling water and cooking the tortellini separately. Fewer dishes is always good in my books!
What to serve with creamy tortellini
I recommend salad and garlic bread if you want it to be the main course. You can definitely serve the tortellini as a side dish if you want to, though. I suggest serving this creamy tortellini recipe with my Easy Baked Chicken Thighs for a tasty meal.
Recipe notes & tips:
- This tortellini recipe doesn't make tons of extra sauce, so if you want it to be really saucy, I suggest adding another 1/4 cup of cream or so.
- I used refrigerated cheese tortellini. You could use frozen tortellini as well, but they may take a little longer to cook (I'd reduce the heat a bit on step 4 and add another few minutes).
- You can swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth or white wine if you want this to be vegetarian.
More tortellini recipes you'll love:
- Bacon Cream Cheese Tortellini
- Crockpot Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- Cheese Tortellini with Butter, Mushrooms, and Crispy Sage
- Chicken Tortellini Alfredo
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
I hope you'll love this creamy spinach tortellini recipe!
Questions? Made this recipe? Leave me a comment below. 🙂
Creamy Tortellini with Spinach and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 7 ounces mushrooms (I used cremini) sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup chicken broth or dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 (9 ounce) packages refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups (packed) fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the oil and butter to a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep your mushrooms (I like to prep as I go to save time).
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, and Italian seasoning to the pan. Continue sautéing for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, cream, and tortellini to the skillet. Give it a good stir and then cover the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and stir it. The tortellini will be cooked and the sauce should have reduced/thickened up a bit. Add in the spinach and stir continuously until it's wilted (about a minute or two). I found the sauce plenty as-is, but feel free to add a splash more cream if needed.
- Stir in the parmesan and season with salt & pepper as needed. Serve immediately.
- You don't have to pre-cook the tortellini. It cooks right in the sauce (and helps thicken it due to the starch released).
- Veggie broth also works if you don't want to use chicken broth.