This Crockpot BBQ chicken recipe has tender pulled chicken that's coated in a delicious sweet and smoky BBQ sauce. It's quick to prepare and makes the best sandwiches!
Slow cooker BBQ chicken is delicious any time of year, but using your Crockpot in warmer months is great because it doesn't heat up your kitchen. And sandwiches are the perfect food to be eaten out on the deck or in your backyard.
This Crockpot BBQ chicken breast recipe makes it possible to enjoy those smoky BBQ flavors even if you don't own a BBQ (or you simply don't feel like turning it on)!
This recipe can easily make 6-8 sandwiches so it's perfect for feeding a group, but the leftovers are also delicious and can even be frozen.
How to make Crockpot shredded BBQ chicken:
To a bowl (or to the bowl of your slow cooker), add the BBQ sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Mix it together thoroughly. Place the chicken breasts in your Crockpot and then pour the sauce over the chicken. Coat the chicken in the sauce (I use tongs). Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours, then shred the chicken with two forks. (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Couldn't be much easier!
Recipe notes & tips:
- Can I use chicken thighs? Sure!
- I used Heinz Kansas City BBQ sauce (it's nice and sweet and smoky and quite thick in consistency), but you may use your favorite/what you've got in stock.
- Optional idea: add a drop or two of liquid smoke. Or add in some cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce if you want the chicken to have some kick.
- Leftovers/storage: Leftovers will last 3-5 days in the fridge or can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- This is the Crockpot model I own.
What to serve with Crockpot pulled chicken:
You may also like...
I hope you'll love these slow cooker pulled chicken sandwiches! Questions? Let me know in the comments below.
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts (about 4 large) boneless skinless
- 1.5 cups BBQ sauce use your favorite
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- For serving: buns, coleslaw, etc.
- Place the chicken breasts in your slow cooker.
- Add everything except for the chicken to a bowl and stir it together until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss so it's well coated. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours (I do 3.5 hours) or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Shred the chicken right in the slow cooker using two forks, then stir it so it's coated in the sauce. If needed, and some salt & pepper prior to serving.
- Makes enough for about 6-8 sandwiches (or fewer if you really stuff them).
- Shred the chicken as small or coarse as you prefer.
- You may sub the chicken breasts for chicken thighs.
- I own this Crockpot.
- Here's the Instant Pot version of the recipe.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.