This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Instant Pot BBQ chicken recipe makes perfectly shredded chicken without having to turn on your grill. This recipe takes only 30 minutes from start to finish!
I got the idea for this Instant Pot pulled chicken recipe after I made pulled pork in the Instant Pot a few weeks ago. To date, it has to be one of my favorite recipes on my blog ever. I keep thinking about it, and I know I’ll have to make it again soon even though I’m usually up to my eyeballs in blog leftovers!
Making pulled chicken in the Instant Pot is a bit faster than the pulled pork, and it’s even easier. It only cooks for 10 minutes, and the total time is only 30 minutes!
You may also like my Crockpot BBQ Chicken.
How to make Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Mix together the chicken broth and spices then add them to the Instant Pot along with the chicken breasts. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. I like to let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure manually (this yields more tender results). Shred the chicken with 2 forks, toss with your favorite BBQ sauce, and serve as desired.
This easy Instant Pot chicken recipe is perfect for summer cookouts. I love eating BBQ year-round, but there’s something special about being able to eat it outdoors, alongside other summer favorites.
More Instant Pot chicken recipes to try:
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
What to serve with Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
It makes delicious pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches with fresh buns and my creamy coleslaw.
You could also serve it as part of a BBQ, picnic, or potluck with side dishes such as pasta salads (try my Mediterranean orzo salad or my balsamic caprese pasta salad), my Instant Pot corn on the cob, or this corn and black bean salad.
Will you try this electric pressure cooker pulled chicken recipe?
Let me know if you have any questions or comments below.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional but tasty)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce or to taste
For serving (optional):
- Coleslaw (click for my recipe)
- Whisk together the chicken broth, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke in a bowl until combined.
- Add the chicken breasts to your Instant Pot. Pour the chicken broth mixture over top.
- Close the Instant Pot's lid, set the valve to "sealing", and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for it to get up to pressure.
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick pressure release for the remaining pressure.
- Add the chicken to a large bowl and shred it with 2 forks. If you wish, add in a couple of spoonfuls of the liquid left in the Instant Pot. Add your BBQ sauce and toss until coated.
- I like to serve the pulled chicken in buns.
- The number of sandwiches this makes depends how much you stuff them, but I could have easily made 8 sandwiches from the 4 chicken breasts.
- I use this 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.