This easy beef and noodles recipe is a homestyle favorite! It's made in 30 minutes with pantry staples, and the rich gravy is a comforting treat you'll crave again and again.
Why you'll love it
Like my Chicken and Noodles, this beef and egg noodles recipe is just good old-fashioned comfort food that's affordable and no fuss. You need very few ingredients for this one to taste spectacular. It has seasoned tender ground beef and is ready in a jiffy for a quick family meal that's made on the stovetop.
This definitely is not a fancy recipe, and mysteriously that seems to be the best kind of meal for picky eaters! If you've got kiddos in your home, they will devour this ground beef and noodles with gravy made from scratch. It's one of my favorites for when motivation to cook is lacking but you're craving a cozy dinner fast.
What you'll need
- Egg noodles - they're the traditional choice for this recipe since they're a hearty pasta that's perfect to coat with the gravy
- Ground beef - I prefer at least 90% lean. We love ground beef for this one since it's cheaper than other cuts but every bit as tasty.
- Onion and garlic - sweet (Vidalia) onions are my usual pick, but yellow is fine. For the garlic, this press makes it easy to mince the cloves since you don't need to peel them first.
- Worcestershire sauce - it's a staple in my pantry and my secret weapon to impart tons of savory flavor in many recipes. Don't skip it!
- Italian seasoning - a fantastic blend of dried Italian herbs like rosemary and thyme that you'll find all in a single jar for convenience
- Flour - to thicken the gravy
- Beef broth - for even more rich, deep flavor
- I like using lean ground beef for this recipe since you can skip draining the fat. There's just enough to help make the gravy.
- While there's no shame in opening up a can of "cream of" soup, it's definitely not necessary here. Try my homemade gravy, and you won't want to go back to recipes with canned soup.
How to make beef and noodles
This is an overview with step-by-step photos. Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
Boil a salted pot of water, and cook the noodles until al dente. In a skillet, add the ground beef and onion, cooking until the meat is nicely browned. Don't drain the fat. Add in the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian seasoning and cook for a minute. Stir in the flour and cook for another few minutes.
Gradually pour in the beef broth, scraping up any delicious brown bits from the bottom of the skillet, until the flour has dissolved. Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until the gravy has thickened up. Drain the noodles, toss with the beef mixture, and season with salt & pepper to taste.
Substitutions and variations
- Try adding in some frozen mixed veggies or canned corn for a bit of color. Add in during step 6.
- You could stir in a couple handfuls of fresh spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking time.
- If using ground turkey or a leaner ground meat, you may need to add a tablespoon or so of oil or butter prior to adding the flour to help make the gravy.
- Feel free to swap the egg noodles with a different kind of pasta or even use rice.
What to serve with it
- I like to serve beef and noodles with a big slice of my Cheesy Garlic Bread or a dinner roll.
- It goes with pretty much any veggie side dish. Try my Honey Roasted Carrots or Simple Sautéed Leeks.
- A side salad is another great option. Try mixed greens with my Easy Homemade Ranch Dressing, a reader favorite.
Leftovers and storage
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days, but keep in mind the noodles may soak up more of the sauce the longer they sit.
- Reheat on the stove or microwave over low heat until warmed through.
- If freezing, I recommend doing so without the cooked noodles and cooking some noodles just prior to serving.
If you made this simple beef and noodles recipe or have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below! You can also find me on Instagram to show me your creations.
Easy Beef and Noodles
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil a salted pot of water for the egg noodles and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add the ground beef and onion to a skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, breaking the meat up as you go along, until it's nicely browned (about 10 minutes). Don't drain the fat unless you're not using lean ground beef (then drain a bit but still leave at least a couple tablespoons of it in the pan).
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian seasoning, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring often (this cooks the raw flour taste out).
- Gradually pour in the beef broth while stirring until the flour has dissolved and scraping any stuck-on bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes (stir occasionally) or until the gravy has thickened to your liking. If it gets too thick, add in a splash more beef broth.
- Drain the cooked egg noodles, add them to the skillet, and toss with the beef mixture. Season with salt & pepper if needed and serve immediately.
- If you're sensitive to salt, use low sodium beef broth.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.