These roasted potatoes and carrots are quick and simple to prepare with everyday ingredients then roasted to perfection!
The great thing about roasted carrots and potatoes are that you get two side dishes in one, so you don't need to worry about cooking a separate vegetable. Easy peasy.
How to roast potatoes and carrots (summary)
Cut the potatoes and carrots into similar-size pieces (doesn't have to be perfect, but the closer in size they are, the more evenly they will cook). I went for about 1.5" pieces. You can go smaller or larger, but be sure to adjust cooking time as needed to accommodate. Add the potatoes and carrots to a fairly large prep bowl, and then toss them with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper (I am generous with both). Spread them out on a baking sheet (line it with foil or parchment for easy clean-up) and bake at 400F for 50-60 minutes or until they're browned and softened to your liking. (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
What kind of potatoes to use?
I like to use Yukon Golds (yellow potatoes), but Russets or red potatoes will work too. The good thing about Yukon Gold is that the skins are thin so you don't have to worry about peeling them.
Recipe notes & tips:
- If you want to add some garlic, I recommend adding it in halfway through roasting so that there's less of a chance of it scorching.
- If the potatoes and carrots seem to be a bit crowded together, you may want to use a full-size baking sheet so they crisp up better (I used a half sheet but it just depends on how big you cut them etc.).
- I used this baking sheet.
- A little trick: for extra browning if you're in a hurry, broil them for a few minutes once they're cooked through (watch carefully so they don't burn, but if you've lined the baking sheet with parchment paper, broiling isn't a good idea).
- Want to swap the dried herbs for fresh? You can definitely do that. Add a few sprigs of thyme and/or rosemary on top prior to roasting (I'd also take some of the leaves off and toss it with the carrots and potatoes).
- I added a bit of chopped parsley after plating them (mostly for the photos), but feel free to do that for a pop of freshness.
More tasty roasted vegetable side dishes:
- Easy Roasted Green Beans
- Maple Roasted Beets and Carrots
- Honey Roasted Carrots Recipe
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Red Potatoes
I hope you will love these roasted carrots and potatoes! Made this recipe? Have questions? Talk to me in the comment below.
Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- 1.5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1.5" pieces
- 1.5 pounds medium-to-large carrots peeled and cut into 1.5" pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400F and move the rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for easy clean-up.
- Cut the potatoes and carrots into roughly the same size pieces (doesn't have to be exact, but similar size is good). I don't peel the potatoes, but you can if you prefer.
- Add the carrots and potatoes to a prep bowl and toss with the oil, Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper (I'm generous with both). Transfer the veggies to the baking sheet and spread them out in an even layer (the less they touch the more crispy they will get).
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until they're soft and browned to your liking. You can toss them halfway thru for more even color, but I don't usually bother. Cooking time will depend on the size they're cut as well and your particular oven and baking sheet, so check after 45-50 minutes, especially if you've got some smaller pieces.
- Serves 4-6 depending on how much people eat/what else you serve the dish with.
- You can use a different variety of potatoes than Yukon Gold. You may want to peel Russets if you use those.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.