These Waldorf chicken salad wraps are fast, easy, and a tasty way to enjoy the classic recipe! Ready in only 15 minutes.
You may also want to make a Classic Waldorf Salad without the wraps.
Did you know that the classic Waldorf salad originates from the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York?
The recipe is credited to the Oscar Tschirky, the hotel's maître d' at the time (1896). It's stuck around ever since.
The traditional Waldorf salad does not contain chicken, but a quick Google search indicated that many people want chicken in theirs, so who am I to argue? It definitely goes well and tastes more interesting than most chicken salads I've tried.
And adding Waldorf salad to wraps just makes sense in my mind. It would be good by itself or with bread too, of course.
Photographing this chicken Waldorf salad recipe reminded me why I don't often put wraps recipes on this blog. Wraps are pretty much the worst things ever to photograph, in my opinion.
I always seem to have trouble with wraps and sandwiches/burgers. I probably should suck it up and practice more, but it's always an exercise in frustration, so I avoid it. 😛
So, what's in this easy Waldorf salad recipe?
- Cooked chicken (I just used a rotisserie chicken - so handy!)
- Red seedless grapes
- Apple (I used honeycrisp... I like a sweet-sour one vs. one that's overly sweet)
- Chopped walnuts
- Lettuce (I like a tender lettuce such as butter leaf)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Greek yogurt and mayo (I prefer a mix to just one or the other)
I've also heard of people substituting the grapes with raisins, which would work too. I love the crunchy mix of textures in these wraps.
I enjoy bringing back retro recipes every now and then. They have staying power for a reason, right?
Hope you try this chicken Waldorf salad recipe!
Let me know in the comments below if you've tried it or have any questions. 🙂
Waldorf Chicken Salad Wraps
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped finely
- Handful red seedless grapes cut into halves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 apple (I used honeycrisp) chopped finely
- Handful lettuce torn
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain Greek yogurt (I used 2%) or to taste
- 1 heaped tablespoon mayo or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2-4 whole wheat wraps
- Prep your chicken, celery (I also chop up some celery leaves and add them if I buy a full head), grapes, walnuts, apple, and lettuce. Add them to a bowl.
- Mix in the yogurt, mayo, and lemon juice. Adjust the dressing quantities to your personal preference and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Fill the wraps with the chicken salad, or enjoy the chicken salad by itself or with bread. Serve immediately.
- Makes 2-4 wraps, depending on how full you stuff 'em.