These grilled Greek chicken meal prep bowls are easy to make, healthy, delicious, and filling! You will love the fresh Mediterranean flavors, quinoa, and veggies.
Everyone seems to be on the meal prep bandwagon these days, so the idea for these grilled chicken meal prep bowls came into my head. I've already done vegan Greek meal prep bowls, and now it's time for some chicken!
I've always loved Greek food. When I was little, my family used to go to a Greek restaurant every single Saturday. I quickly fell in love with hummus, tzatziki, calamari, Kalamata olives, and all those other delicious Mediterranean flavors and dishes.
Greek food is still a staple in my diet, and I have plenty of Mediterranean-inspired recipes on here, including my avocado Greek salad, loaded Greek potato wedges, and my Mediterranean chickpea salad, to name a few.
How to make chicken souvlaki
Marinate the chicken breast pieces for at least 30 minutes in a mixture of olive oil, dried oregano, lemon juice, garlic, and salt & pepper. For extra flavor, add some lemon zest (here's the zester I use) to the marinade.
Thread the chicken onto skewers when you're ready to grill.
Grill the chicken souvlaki skewers on medium-high heat for about 15 minutes (turning the skewers every few minutes) until they're cooked through and have a nice char.
You can definitely customize these easy chicken meal prep bowls to your tastes. Use any/all of the veggie ideas that I suggest, or swap as needed.
I kept these pretty healthy with quinoa, but if you don't like it, make rice instead.
Obsessed with Kalamata olives like I am? Add some!
I photographed the bowls with some tzatziki on the side. I always eat tzatziki with my chicken souvlaki. I have a recipe for homemade tzatziki that I just love, but you can also just buy it if it's easier.
Pro tip: You can definitely cut down on how long it takes to make these if you do some prep and cook the quinoa while the chicken is marinating.
Want more chicken meal prep recipes?
Will you make these Greek chicken meal prep bowls?
Let me know in the comments below!
I use these 3-compartment meal prep containers (from Amazon).
Chicken Souvlaki Meal Prep Bowls
- 4 large chicken breasts cut into kabob-size piece
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- Tomatoes to taste
- Cucumber to taste
- Tzatziki to taste (click for recipe or use store-bought)
- Red onions to taste
- Kalamata olives to taste (optional)
- Prep your chicken and add it to large bowl or ZipLoc along with the oil, oregano, lemon, garlic, and salt & pepper. Marinate for at least 30 minutes (keep it in the fridge, especially if you go longer than 30 min).
- Prep your other ingredients and cook the quinoa according to package directions, and set it aside to cool when it's done.
- To grill the chicken, grease the grate and pre-heat your grill to high. Thread the chicken on wooden or metal skewers (it's a good idea to soak wood ones first so they don't splinter and burn as easily). Reduce heat to medium-high. Cook the chicken for about 15 minutes total time (or until it's cooked through), turning every few minutes. I used a gas BBQ, cooking the chicken with the lid down. A grill pan would work too (adjust cooking time as needed).
- Assemble bowls and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- You can use any/all of my other ingredient suggestions - use what works for you. You could definitely swap the quinoa for rice or skip it altogether.
- I served tzatziki on the side because it tends to dry out if you spoon some over the chicken, for example. I suggest keeping it in a sealed container(s) and adding it to the bowl before serving.
- I use these meal prep containers.