This avocado Greek salad recipe is healthy, fast, and bursting with fresh Mediterranean flavors. This salad is delicious and good for you!
This Greek salad with avocado is the perfect make-ahead salad for potlucks, picnics, or BBQs. My mind is dreaming of summer, but there's still snow outside. 😛 Ah March in Canada.
I see nothing wrong with making a fresh salad like this any time of year, but it's true that salads like this are generally best when tomatoes are in-season.
What ingredients go into a Greek salad (Horiatiki)?
I kept this Greek salad pretty classic, except for the addition of avocado. There's no lettuce in this Greek salad. Feta, green peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, red onions, and Kalamata olives are all mainstays in traditional Greek salad recipes.
How do you make Greek salad dressing?
A simple Greek salad dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, a touch of fresh lemon juice, and some dried oregano is all you need to complement the fresh veggies and salty feta.
A little bit of extra oregano sprinkled over top is the perfect finishing touch to this avocado Greek salad recipe.
As with any type of salad like this, I recommend adjusting the oil and vinegar quantities to your taste. It sounds fairly obvious to some, but when I don't mention it, I end up getting people leaving me comments about how they needed to add more of something or less of another thing.
I wish my recipes could work for everyone as written, but that's the beauty of cooking... you can and should adjust ingredients to your personal taste. Everyone is different. No recipe will please everyone unfortunately.
I'll get off my mini soapbox now. 🙂
What to serve with Greek salad?
If you're making a meal out of it, serve this with some delicious fresh pita bread or a nice crusty bread. This salad is also a great accompaniment to grilled meats (try these chicken skewers of mine).
Wine pairings: there are many good Greek wines out there, but some of them aren't as easy to find. If you like red wine, I suggest pairing Greek salad with pinot noir. A good white wine for Greek salad is sauvignon blanc.
Will you try this tasty twist on Greek salad?
Avocado Greek Salad
- 4 large tomatoes cut into smaller pieces
- 4 Persian (mini) cucumbers (or one whole English cucumber) sliced
- 1/4 medium red onion sliced or chopped
- 2 avocados chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 7 ounces feta cubed
- Kalamata olives to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Prep the tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, avocados, green pepper, feta, and olives and add them to a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Toss the salad. You may need to adjust the oil/vinegar quantities to suit your personal taste. I like to add some salt & pepper even though the feta and olives are fairly salty. Sprinkle some additional dried oregano over top prior to serving if desired.
- Salad can be made a few hours ahead, but I do suggest waiting to add the avocado until as late as possible because it does brown quite fast.
- Serves 4-6 depending on how much people eat.