This creamy tomato tortellini recipe is made in one pan for a fast, easy, and comforting meatless weeknight dinner!
This makes a tasty main course, or serve it as a side dish. Cheesy tortellini with tomato sauce is simple and delicious.
I based this recipe on my Super Easy Creamy Tomato Pasta, so if you want to make this with something besides tortellini, I recommend checking out that recipe instead.
How to make tortellini with tomato cream sauce (overview):
In a deep skillet, sauté the garlic in the butter for about a minute, then stir in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, cream, and Italian seasoning. Whisk/stir until you've got a smooth sauce. Stir in the tortellini, then cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Test to see how done the tortellini is, and cook it for a little longer if needed. Season with salt & pepper and enjoy with some parmesan grated over top. (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- Use the refrigerated cheese tortellini (not the dry kind found in the pasta aisle). If using the dry kind, boil it first and cook the sauce a bit longer prior to adding the tortellini so it thickens up.
- I don't recommend subbing the cream with something that has a lower fat content (e.g. half-and-half or milk) as it may curdle due to the acid in the tomatoes. You could try coconut milk for a dairy-free option, but I have not tested it.
- For my UK readers, tomato sauce is similar to passata.
- This is a fairly basic recipe, so you can definitely play with it a bit... adding in some fresh herbs like basil would work well, for example.
- If the tomato sauce tastes a tad too acidic to you, add in a pinch of sugar.
- The sauce thickens up quite quickly as the tortellini cook and release their starch. If the sauce gets too thick at any point, add in a bit more cream or some chicken or vegetable broth to thin it out.
You may also like...
- Creamy Tomato Gnocchi
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Baked Tortellini (Tomato & Meat Sauce)
- Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta
- One Pan Tortellini with Sausage
Questions about this tomato tortellini recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini
- 2 (9 ounce) packages refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for serving, to taste
- Add the butter to a skillet over medium heat. Once it melts, add the garlic and sauté for about a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, cream, and Italian seasoning. Stir/whisk until it's nice and smooth.
- Stir in the tortellini (no need to boil it first). Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- If the tortellini is still a little firm, continue cooking it for another few minutes (stoves and pans vary). If needed, increase the heat a bit. If the sauce thickens/reduces too much (the pasta releases starch, thickening the sauce as it cooks), add another splash of cream or a little chicken/veg broth.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed (I'm fairly generous with both).
- Serve immediately with plenty of parmesan cheese grated over top.
- I don't recommend subbing the cream with something that has a lower fat content as it may curdle due to the acid in the tomatoes.
- Since this is a one pan meal and the tortellini isn't cooked ahead of time, be sure to use the refrigerated variety of tortellini... not the dry stuff found in the pasta aisle.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.